Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
ESA says that the Euclid team, together with its principal industrial contractor, Thales Alenia Space, was able to diagnose the problem quickly. The pointing system uses auxiliary sensors inside the telescope to take periodic 2-second exposures of the field of view. It then matches the stars it sees with those the Gaia catalogue, to make sure they are in the expected position. But the sensors also pick up noise from energetic particles such as cosmic rays, which continuously rain onto the probe from all directions, explains Giovanni Bosco, a physicist at Thales Alenia Space in Turin, Italy. Within 100 milliseconds, the onboard software has to filter through that noise and single out the real stars.

Source: Nature

It seems an "in" is missing in the sentence "It then matches the stars it sees with those the Gaia catalogue", which should have been "It then matches the stars it sees with those in the Gaia catalogue". I am not absolutely sure. Those listed in the catalogue serve as a reference...
What is your opinion?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Yes, you are right. Somehow I missed that when I proofread that piece. (Kidding.)

In fact, unless you are looking for that kind of thing you might mentally fill it in and not notice the missing word.