Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
What is the "it" role in sentence below?

"When writers and academics stay away from countries in protest at human rights violations, it is the people who lose out"

In that use "it" is a dummy subject. The real clause is "the people lose out".

Arthur, please note that a better title would have been It is the people who lose out.

In that use "it" is a dummy subject. The real clause is "the people lose out".

In fact, I know the real clause is "the people lose out". I don't know why it use "it is the people who lose out" instead "the people lose out" ?

Arthur, please note that a better title would have been It is the people who lose out.

In this case, It is truer grammatical to be used the "It is the people who lose out"

I don't understand that remark. My point was that 'It' is useless as a thread title.

***** NOT A TEACHER *****

Hello, Mr. Schopenhauer:

1. "When concerned people stay away from oppressive countries, the people lose out."

2. "When concerned people stay away from oppressive countries, it is the people who lose out."

Just a thought, not the "answer."

Is it possible that #2 is a shorter version of:

3. "When concerned people stay away from oppressive countries, it is the people, not the oppressive governments, that lose out."

I don't understand that remark. My point was that 'It' is useless as a thread title.

Now I understand what you mean. I perceive why expressions is difference.

I think "who lose out" can also be an appositive phrase for "it".

How could that be?

I don't buy it here either.

I will just let you think what you want to think but before you do, put "who lose out" where "it" is at and tell me what you think.

I think it does not create an appositive.

What do you mean? and Why?

You are beginning to remind me of a recently departed member.

Last edited:
The OP's question has been answered and the thread has run its course. I'm closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back