Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
The following conversation took place between Jeff and me. We were talking about our public speaking club and he's a newcomer.

Jeff: Is it okay if I just sit there and have a listen?
Silver: It'll be better if you join us to speak.

Jeff's English is not good and he wants to just listen to our speeches. However, every participant who go there needs to give a speech.

Is the italic sentence natural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The following conversation took place between Jeff and me. We were talking about our public speaking club and he's a newcomer.

Jeff: Is it okay if I just sit there and have a listen?
Silver: It'll be better if you join us to speak.

Jeff's English is not good and he wants to just listen to our speeches. However, every participant [STRIKE]who goes there[/STRIKE] needs to give a speech.

Is the italic sentence natural?

The italic sentence is grammatically correct but it would be more natural to say "It would be better if you gave a speech". However, that doesn't make it clear that every participant must speak, which is what you said later on. He's asked a closed question (the possible answers are "Yes" and "No"). Your response needs to be clearer. Either it's okay or it's not.

If he's a complete newcomer (it's his first week), I think it would be fair to let him listen but explain that he must make a speech at future meetings. However, I don't know the rules of your club.

Note my correction to the end of your final sentence. There's no need to say "who goes there". Saying that someone is a participant makes it clear that they're there. Remember to use the third person singular with "every".

Status
Not open for further replies.