It's been a while since we’ve had sweets.

You and I process English sentences differently.
I think that one problem with your way of dealing with sentences is that you expect them to be produced using the 'rules' that you have learnt. You need to remember that:

1. Most native speakers are completely unaware of most of the 'rules' in English, especially those concerning the uses of tenses and aspects;
2. The rules on the uses of tenses and aspects that you fine in most sound grammars are not rules; they are observations on how these forms are used by most native speakers most of the time. They are very helpful to learners (and teachers), but they do not attempt to explain very single observed use of every form.
3. Logic and analogy are unreliable guides when it comes to analysing how tenses and aspects are used.

I think that one problem with your way of dealing with sentences is that you expect them to be produced using the 'rules' that you have learnt. You need to remember that:

1. Most native speakers are completely unaware of most of the 'rules' in English, especially those concerning the uses of tenses and aspects;
2. The rules on the uses of tenses and aspects that you fine in most sound grammars are not rules; they are observations on how these forms are used by most native speakers most of the time. They are very helpful to learners (and teachers), but they do not attempt to explain very single observed use of every form.
3. Logic and analogy are unreliable guides when it comes to analysing how tenses and aspects are used.
I understand that but I’m a second language learner so I can only rely on the rules to understand grammar and sentence structure.
I keep asking in this forum because somebody may be able to answer my questions.
Also, I explain what I think such as logic because members might understand my problem through my thinking process and they might understand what I don’t understand.

I don't usually think in terms of grammar rules.
That's why I said we process English differently. I can only rely on rules. And how we look into a sentence structure is different. You probably don't even need a second to understand a sentence but I would encounter a lot of difficulties.
When I ask a native English teacher about a grammar or sentence structure questions, sometimes they have difficulty understanding what I don't understand (it could be my English skill not good enough to make them understand what I mean). When I ask the same question to a Chinese teacher of English, they understand what I don't understand.

A native speaker would probably say that in a less wordy manner. For example, "When I ask the question of an WXYZ they understand what the problem is."

I think you're stuck.

Back