[Grammar] It's much easier compared with last time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
No. You could add "as" or "when" between the clauses, but "when it is" has a different meaning.

No. You could add "as" or "when" between the clauses, but "when it is" has a different meaning.
But how about this? For example:

When the test is compared with last time, it's much easier.

It's much easier (when the test is) compared with last time.
It's much easier compared with last time.

Yes, they mean the same thing if what you mean is "This test is easier than the last one."
I think GS's objection is that the latter test doesn't become easy when, and only when, it is compared to the last test. It will always be easier.
The dictionary example is colloquial.

I think GS's objection is that the latter test doesn't become easy when, and only when, it is compared to the last test. It will always be easier.

Pardon me, but I don't understand what you mean. :oops:

At post #3, I meant "the latter test become easier when it is compared to the last test".

The dictionary example is colloquial.

Colloquial means "informal and more suitable for use in speech than in writing", so if a dictionary example is colloquial, what does this mean?

Then we'll have to wait for GS to reply. There's no point in my clarifying an explanation that might not be correct.

I meant "the latter test become easier when it is compared to the last test".
So you do mean that the test literally becomes easier when, and only when (or after, and only after) you compare it to the last one? How does that work?

I meant "the latter test become easier when it is compared to the last test".

So you do mean that the test literally becomes easier when, and only when (or after, and only after) you compare it to the last one? How does that work?
Sorry, I should have made it clearer. What I meant is more like this:

I feel the latter test becomes easier when it is compared to the last test.

Last edited:
Are you sure you're using the word "becomes" appropriately there. Your sentence means that the latter test is harder than the last test only until you compare them. Suddenly, when you compare them, the latter test becomes easier. That's not logical.

Your sentence means that the latter test is harder than the last test only until you compare them.
Really? I didn't want to mean that. :shock:

Here is the context in my mind:

A: Oh, this test is hard!
B: Come on, I think it's much easier compared with last time.

Now you're using "last time" inappropriately. That makes it sound as if you have taken the same test twice. Of course a test would be easier the second time you take it - you already know the questions! It would make more sense if they were two different tests with different questions.

A: This test is hard!
B: Come on, I think it's much easier than the last one!

"The last one" is "the last test we took" but it is not the same test as the one they're taking now.

Now you're using "last time" inappropriately. That makes it sound as if you have taken the same test twice. Of course a test would be easier the second time you take it - you already know the questions! It would make more sense if they were two different tests with different questions.

A: This test is hard!
B: Come on, I think it's much easier than the last one!

"The last one" is "the last test we took" but it is not the same test as the one they're taking now.

Now I don't know what context will fit the sentence: It's much easier compared with last time.

Could you please help me? :-?

I answered you in the first line in post#4.

You sit a test. You find it easier than the last time you sat that (equivalent but different) test. Or, you find out that the last test was harder, by speaking to people who did it last time.
If that's what you mean, then the test is easier than the last one, and colloquially, as in the example you've given from the dictionary, the test was easier than last time.

The dictionary entry (or its modification) is colloquial because you are not comparing a test with a time. You are comparing two tests.

I think you're talking yourself into problems that you don't need.

"It's much easier compared with last time."
"I've ridden a horse twice. This time was much easier than last time." I'm not really comparing times. I'm comparing the difficulty of riding a horse on two separate occasions. That context fits the the sentence.

Last edited:
I answered you in the first line in post#4.

You sit a test. You find it easier than the last time you sat that (equivalent but different) test. Or, you find out that the last test was harder, by speaking to people who did it last time.
If that's what you mean, then the test is easier than the last one, and colloquially, as in the example you've given from the dictionary, the test was easier than last time.

The dictionary entry (or its modification) is colloquial because you are not comparing a test with a time. You are comparing two tests.

I think you're talking yourself into problems that you don't need.

"It's much easier compared with last time."
"I've ridden a horse twice. This time was much easier than last time." I'm not really comparing times. I'm comparing the difficulty of riding a horse on two separate occasions. That context fits the the sentence.

To sum up, Can I say "It's much easier compared with last time = It's much easier (when it is) compared with last time"? :)

I'm not going there again. Why say anything? You understand what it means.

I'm not going there again. Why say anything? You understand what it means.
Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you.

Yes, they mean the same thing if what you mean is "This test is easier than the last one."

I did see it. I just wanted to assure myself that my question had gotten answered.
Maybe I was being too careful. However, there is the last thing I want to say: thank you for spending time on my question. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back