Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
Hello teachers and forum colleagues!

Would you kindly answer to my question and correct my possible mistakes on this post?

I've recently learned the expression "sales clerk attendant". Then I looked up the verb "attend" on some online dictionaries to check its senses and whether its use would be considered formal or consultative register.

Are the following phrases correct and do they convey the proper meaning given the respective contexts? If so, do they sound informal? If not, what would be better to say not to sound formal? Is there an equivalent idiom?

1) Speaking to an attendant in a shop/store (if she or he is not looking in your direction):

-- Would you please attend me?

2) To a second attendant that comes to you while a first one is in the storage looking for something you want to see in other color:

-- I''ve already been attended, thank you.

Thanks in advance. :-D

Last edited:
Hello teachers and forum colleagues!

Would you kindly answer to my question and correct my occasional mistakes on this post?

I've recently learned the expression "sales clerk attendant". Then I looked up the verb "attend" on some online dictionaries to check its senses and whether its use would be considered formal or consultative register.

Are the following phrases correct and do they convey the proper meaning given the respective contexts? If so, do they sound informal? If not, what would be better to say not to sound formal? Is there an equivalent idiom?

1) Speaking to an attendant in a shop/store (if she or he is not looking in your direction):

-- Would you please attend me?

2) To a second attendant that comes while a first one is in the storage looking for item you want in the color you've chosen:

-- I''ve already been attended, thank you.

Thanks in advance. :-D

No, the verb "help/helped" would be more natural.

Welcome to the forums, Conatus.:-D

-- Would you please attend me?:cross:'Could you help me, please?' 'Can I ask you a question?'

2) To a second attendant that comes to you while the first one is in the store room looking for something you want to see in another color:

-- I've already been attended, thank you.:cross: 'I'm already being attended to, thank you.'

[STRIKE]Thanks in advance[/STRIKE]. Unnecessary. Just click the Like button when you get a useful answer.

Note that there's only one apostrophe in I've.

Rover

For 2, you could also used I'm (already) being served, thank you.

Or "Someone is already taking care of me."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back