Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Jenny is home from college this weekend I think this sentence means Jenny come back home from college is it right ? but if its true there is no word about get back or come back and this sentence is simple present tense but it referes to future tense.last question is that does ''from'' mean come back

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
"Jenny is home from college this weekend."

I think this sentence means "Jenny comes back home from college". Is it that right? but However, if it's true correct, there is no word about nothing that means "get back" or "come back". and Also, this sentence is in the simple present tense but it referes refers to the future. tense. last question is that Does "from" mean "come back"?
Please note my multiple corrections above. Don't try to start sentences with "but" or "and".

The sentence is a somewhat informal way of saying "Jenny will be coming home from college this weekend". I wouldn't necessarily recommend that a learner try to emulate this construction - stick with using the future voice. However, bear in mind that we commonly use the present continuous to refer to the future.

I'm going to the cinema on Saturday.
She's coming home from college this weekend.
They're taking the dog for a walk this afternoon.

Those are more natural than using the future voice.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
@aliakar86, you have posted the same thread here.

Please don't post the same question to different forums simultaneously. Post on one forum only, wait for responses and then, only if you are disappointed with/confused by the responses (or there aren't any), post on another forum and include a link to the first forum thread.
(emsr2d2)

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The sentence is a somewhat informal way of saying "Jenny will be coming home from college this weekend".

I read it as present tense. She is home now. It is the weekend now. She's only home for the weekend. She came here from her college.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"Jane is home from college this weekend" could mean the speaker is talking about the upcoming weekend or it could be present tense.

It's not too late to change the thread title.

aliakar86

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey
Please note my multiple corrections above. Don't try to start sentences with "but" or "and".

The sentence is a somewhat informal way of saying "Jenny will be coming home from college this weekend". I wouldn't necessarily recommend that a learner try to emulate this construction - stick with using the future voice. However, bear in mind that we commonly use the present continuous to refer to the future.

I'm going to the cinema on Saturday.
She's coming home from college this weekend.
They're taking the dog for a walk this afternoon.

Those are more natural than using the future voice.
Thank you I easily undwherstand if speaker says Jane is coming back home from College this weekend but I want to ask and learn different natural structure and I think this a kind of sentence is more natural and common among the native speakers.you explained what I want to learn.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States