Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is this correct and natural?

Jane kept her eyes on the road, her hands gripping the steering wheel. Snowflakes came down almost horizontally, scratching against the window of the Range Rover. The car moved with difficulty on the snow-coated road. Patrick tried to keep a cool face but was terrified. "What a night to go out," he said. "You are weird, Jane."

"Don't be a wuss," she responded. "Driving on snowy nights is fun. I do it all the time." She pulled up the turn signal, and pulled over.

Patrick's eyes widened. "What are you doing?"

"Come on! Get out of the car! I want to show you something," she yelled over the roar of the snow storm.

They trudged in the mist-shrouded plateau and reached a bench that overlooked the entire city. "Come on! Let's sit here," she said.

"There is ice on the bench, Jane," he said. The growl of the snowy wind enveloped him.

She grabbed a small boulder and smashed it on the bench, breaking the ice. She then used her hand to scatter the pieces of ice. "There!" she said taking a seat, gazing into the horizon.

The black ribbon of the river bisected two sprawls of light stretching all the way to the foot of rocky hills. She never thought an unforgiving city would look so beautiful from distance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is this correct and natural?

Jane kept her eyes on the road, her hands gripping the steering wheel. Snowflakes came down almost horizontally, scratching against the window windscreen (BrE)/windshield (AmE) of the Range Rover. The car moved with difficulty struggled on the snow-coated road. Patrick tried to keep a look cool/calm face but was terrified. "What a night to go out," he said. "You are You're weird, Jane."

"Don't be a wuss," she responded. "Driving on snowy nights is fun. I do it all the time." She pulled up the turn signal signalled left/right and pulled over.

Patrick's eyes widened. "What are you doing?"

"Come on! Get out of the car! I want to show you something," she yelled over the roar of the snow storm.

They trudged in across/over/to/towards the mist-shrouded plateau and reached a bench that overlooked the entire city. "Come on! Let's sit here," she said.

"There is There's ice on the bench, Jane," he said. The growl of the snowy wind enveloped him.

She grabbed a small boulder and smashed it on against the bench, breaking the ice, She then used her hand to scatter the pieces. of ice. "There!" she said, taking a seat and gazing into the horizon.

The black ribbon of the river bisected two sprawls of light stretching all the way to the foot of the/some rocky hills. She never thought an unforgiving city would look so beautiful from distance.

Note my suggested changes above. I can't remember if you generally aim for BrE or AmE. If you're going for BrE style, put commas outside the quotation marks. For example, I'd write "Don't be a wuss", she responded.
Remember that we tend to use a lot of contractions in natural spoken English. "You're weird" and "There's ice on the bench" are much more likely than "You are weird" and "There is ice on the bench".

Status
Not open for further replies.