John........very depressed since he lost his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.

abo.omar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
John........very depressed since he lost his job.

a-was
b- has been
c- had been
d- is
My answer is a yet I think b and d are possible.
The source is a Facebook educational group,

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
B) is definitely correct. I wouldn't use the others.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Would A and D be correct if "since" was used with the meaning of "because"?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I guess so Gliz. That ambiguity is the reason I avoid using since for because. But many native speakers in my part of the world treat them as freely interchangeable synonyms.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Abo.omar, I'm curious - do you ever point out the problems with the questions on that Facebook group (I mean the problems that we spot and tell you about)?

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
Would A and D be correct if "since" was used with the meaning of "because"?

Yes, but that does not strike me as a very likely interpretation.

abo.omar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Abo.omar, I'm curious - do you ever point out the problems with the questions on that Facebook group (I mean the problems that we spot and tell you about)?

The problem is that many people ask questions and many other people answer these questions, but they give different answers. Here is the very problem that I am so curious to know which answer is the correct one.So I come here to know the correct answers.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The problem is that many people ask questions and many other people answer these questions, but they give different answers. [STRIKE]Here is the very problem that I am so[/STRIKE] That makes me curious to know which answer is the correct one no full stop here so I come here to [STRIKE]know[/STRIKE] find out. [STRIKE]the correct answers.[/STRIKE]

Don't the people who set the questions eventually say what they consider to be the correct answer? If not, it's a really pointless exercise!

However, that wasn't my question. I asked if you ever point out their errors on that Facebook page. If I were you, after you've had responses on this forum, I'd go back to the FB page and say "The wonderful, friendly and very knowledgeable people at Using English have looked at this question and told me that only B is possible in that sentence"! That would be particularly useful if the question setter had said, for example, that C is correct, or that A, B and D were all possible.

abo.omar

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Egypt
Current Location
Egypt
Don't the people who set the questions eventually say what they consider to be the correct answer? If not, it's a really pointless exercise!

However, that wasn't my question. I asked if you ever point out their errors on that Facebook page. If I were you, after you've had responses on this forum, I'd go back to the FB page and say "The wonderful, friendly and very knowledgeable people at Using English have looked at this question and told me that only B is possible in that sentence"! That would be particularly useful if the question setter had said, for example, that C is correct, or that A, B and D were all possible.

I do. I take images of your answers and put links to the answers.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
What are the aims of the Facebook group?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If John is deceased (dead) you could say John had been depressed since losing his job.

Status
Not open for further replies.