Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Brazil
Current Location
Brazil
There is a expression in Portuguese that is "porque sim" which literally means "because yes", that expression is used to answer someone when they ask something like "Why did you do that?" we would say this expression with the purpose of saying that we only did it because we wanted to do it or we don't have a reason we just did it.

Is there is any expression like this in English? I've heard the expression "just because" but I don't know if it fits here.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
You could say, "Because." Or just shrug your shoulders.

Lycidas

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
. . . we would say this expression with the purpose of saying that we only did it because we wanted to do it or we don't have a reason we just did it.

Is there is any expression like this in English?
In addition to what Tarheel and Skrej have said, there is also, at least in AmE, the following informal, conversational, somewhat combative reply:

"Because I felt like it."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
And as my parents used to say to me "Because I said so."
That has a specific application. At a certain age youngsters discover the word "why" and use it regularly. Out of frustration or to make the point that they are the parent and the child needs to do what he or she is told to do, the parent says, "Because I said so!" meaning (among other things) that the discussion is over.

Status
Not open for further replies.