Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
. . . MR.WEBB comes along Main Street, where he meets CONSTABLE WARREN. Their movements and voices are increasingly lively in the sharp air.
MR.WEBB:
Good morning, Bill.
CONSTABLE WARREN:
Good morning, Mr. Webb. You're up early.
MR.WEBB:
Yes, just been back to my old college in New York State. Been any trouble here?
CONSTABLE WARREN:
Well, I was called up this mornin' to rescue a Polish fella - darn near froze to death he was.
. . .
(Thornton Wilder, Our Town, Act III)

I don't really understand this sentence. What does back and to mean there? Does he say he is just coming back from his college or does he say he has paid
a visit to his college again? What is the meaning of just there?

Last edited:

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
He recently returned from a visit to his old college. He was just there. It's "back" there because he had been to the college before (obviously, he went there, because it's his "old college").

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"Just" there means in the very immediate past. Five minutes ago he had not got back but now he has.

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
I still don't understand it fully, I'm afraid.
1) Does he say "I have just been back from the journey/trip to my old college"? Is "from my journey/trip" implied in the original sentence "Yes, just been back (from my journey/trip) to my old college in New York State"?. In this case I would like to say "back from" - "Yes, just been back from my college in New York State" - like in the sentence "Dr. Smith is back from Spain". What defies me is the phrase "back to" there.

2) Or does he say "I have just paid a visit to my old college in New York State again"?

Last edited:

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Simplify the idea;
I have just been to my old college - I have just been to and come back from ... .
I have just been back to my old college - I have just returned to and come back from ... .

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
If you consider been to be the past participle of 'go', does that help you understand? You go to a place.

If the sentence were in the past simple instead of the present perfect, it would be:

Yes, I went back to my old college in New York State.

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
If you consider been to be the past participle of 'go', does that help you understand? You go to a place.

If the sentence were in the past simple instead of the present perfect, it would be:

Yes, I went back to my old college in New York State.
Yes, thank you, that helps. That's the way I can understand this sentence - in other words he says "I have (just) paid a visit to my old college in New York State", right?

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
100% correct.