Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Brunei
Current Location
Australia
I've heard different variations of the expression 'to knock someone for six'.

I also know the different meanings between "I will knock him for six" and "It knocked me for six".
May I ask which variation(s) do you use? Can you give me some examples?

Do you use (hit/throw/knock) someone for (a) six?

I've never seen the phrase before.

It's from cricket and is equivalent to grand slam home run in baseball. A batted ball that crosses the boundary on the fly scores six runs. If it touches the ground first it's a four. Metaphorically it could be thunderstruck, dumbfounded or totally defeated.

It is not used in Canada although we have many immigrants who are passionate about cricket.

Last edited:
It's understandably very common in England, the home of cricket.

The verb used is knocked, though I think hit is a possible alternative. thrown doesn't work at all. The indefinite article (a six) is also wrong.

Hit works too. Threw works alone with a similar meaning- his response completely threw me.

Well, besides "hit" and "knock", "throw" is seemingly acceptable in the Antipodes.

Canadalynx, could you please provide an example or two from Down Under of throw with for six.

Well, besides "hit" and "knock", "throw" is seemingly acceptable in the Antipodes.

The metaphor comes from cricket, where the batsman uses his bat to hit/knock the ball over the boundary, thereby scoring six runs. That's why throw doesn't work.

@probus
A : You didn't win last week.
B : It threw me for six. I thought I did really well.

@jutfrank
Yes, I understand your point.

I've heard "threw/thrown me for six" but it's definitely not as common in the UK as the "knock" version.

And I think it would not be possible in cricket.

I've come to terms with it.

Cricket is something we have to come to terms with. Sailing is another rich source of idioms, though few of them make any sense to sailors as they have taken on new meanings, often the opposite of the original idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back