Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Like ems, I would have said 'consist in' is wrong.

None of the above examples quoting its use sound natural to me and I have no plans to start using the collocation anytime soon.

Rover

Barb_D

Staff member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Like ems, I would have said 'consist in' is wrong.

None of the above examples quoting its use sound natural to me and I have no plans to start using the collocation anytime soon.

Rover
And I'm like both of you.

In my sometimes role of editor, I would change "in" to "of" every time if I ever saw it. And I have not.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Personally, I agree with those who dislike 'in'; it does not sound natural to me. However, quite a few dictionaries are happy with 'in', and BNC and COCA confirm that more than a handful of people use it. So, we cannot say that it is incorrect.

kamilmodry

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Question is "Language learning consist in.."
Is it correct if I say that language learning consist of four disciplines that are important to learn in order to become fluent in the language: reading, listening, speaking and writing. But also very important is vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation...

Is it good? What more should I add.... I will have more than 5 minutes to say about this question...

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I still can't get away from the fact that if that were handed in to me, I would correct "Language learning consist in ..." to "Language learning consists of ​..."

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
Question is "Language learning consist in.."
Is it correct if I say that language learning consist of four disciplines that are important to learn in order to become fluent in the language: reading, listening, speaking and writing. But also very important is vocabulary, grammar, pronunciation...

Is it good? What more should I add.... I will have more than 5 minutes to say about this question...

I think you've been given enough information. Whose exam is it again?

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
'Consists in' is definitely not wrong (in the third person singular); in Academic English, professors and editors almost always correct your 'consists of' to 'consists in'.... probably because of philosophical, linguistic or etymological consistency. Now, when writing an academic paper for publication in a peer-reviewed journal, I just use 'consists in' myself, to avoid it being corrected. Though I realize that in the popular conception of natural English, the other is the 'right' one. consist in sth - definition in British English Dictionary & Thesaurus - Cambridge Dictionary Online

[Edit: I remember now.... 'consists of' has to do with material ingredients, whereas 'consists in' is for immaterial, abstract, logical, or conceptual assertions, such as "Democracy consists in the capacity to depose a government peacefully."] And here is a google link to 8 million specific results: https://www.google.ca/search?q="con...08,d.aWM&fp=fd62a31a6c6585ef&biw=1067&bih=593

Last edited:

kamilmodry

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
I think you've been given enough information. Whose exam is it again?

It is my exam. I'm very stressed because this is the only one question to which I haven't got an explanation. And I think that I can make a bad impression because I do not really know how to expand more this question.
Should I add something more to this? How to expand more this question?

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
'Consists in' is verging on archaic. I don't see why recognition of this should cause stress; it's just the way things are. Many editors and teachers prefer 'of', but as 5jj said there are no grounds for saying it's wrong.

b

Status
Not open for further replies.