Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Could you please check the following?

Last month when I was on my way to the spa, I was like 10 minutes late and then one of your colleagues called me and cancelled the appointment, although I was about to get there in 5 minutes. But today I have been waiting for like 30 minutes to get my work done without complaining! I think we sometimes should understand each other's situation.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Remove the completely pointless (and irritating) "like" both times you used it. There are other errors but those can go first!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't understand the part about waiting to get your work done.
:-?

it-is-niaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Remove the completely pointless (and irritating) "like" both times you used it.
:oops: but they are excessively used by native American English. They use too many "like" when they are speaking.

Last month when I was on my way to the spa, I was 10 minutes late and then one of your colleagues called me and cancelled the appointment, although I was about to get there in 5 minutes. But today I have been waiting for 30 minutes to get my work done without complaining! I think we sometimes should understand each other's situation.

it-is-niaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
I don't understand the part about waiting to get your work done.
:-?
I was talking about getting a medical service in a medical center.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I was talking about getting a medical service in a medical center.

Then you weren't waiting to get your work done. You were waiting to see a doctor (or nurse, or whatever). You could say (for example):

I was waiting to get my blood drawn.

:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You are trying to compare someone at a spa cancelling your appointment because you were over 10 minutes late with being kept waiting for 30 minutes at a medical centre. That makes no sense. Almost everyone understands that you might be kept waiting in a medical scenario or situation, because such places are prone to unexpected events, emergencies etc. That is not the case at a spa. You book an appointment for a specific time, the therapist is ready for you, they have someone booked in straight after you, so keeping to time is important.

If you had been late for an appointment at the spa, causing them to cancel it, and then a couple of weeks later you turned up at the same spa and were kept waiting an unacceptable length of time, you would have a case.

Last edited:

sania-baharat

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
Pakistan
Current Location
Iran
Right, so don't do the same irritating thing.
Remove the completely pointless (and irritating) "like" both times you used it. There are other errors but those can go first!
What should we say when we are talking about something which is not exact. For example, I have been waiting for about/like 10 minutes?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Use "about" or "approximately".

it-is-niaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
Why imitate a bad habit when you could do better?
I was trying to sound like them by talking exactly in the way they all talk. I was wrong. :oops:

it-is-niaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
You are trying to compare someone at a spa cancelling your appointment because you were over 10 minutes late with being kept waiting for 30 minutes at a medical centre. That makes no sense. Almost everyone understands that you might be kept waiting in a medical scenario or situation, because such places are prone to unexpected events, emergencies etc. That is not the case at a spa. You book an appointment for a specific time, the therapist is ready for you, they have someone booked in straight after you, so keeping to time is important.

If you had been late for an appointment at the spa, causing them to cancel it, and then a couple of weeks later you turned up at the same spa and were kept waiting an unacceptable length of time, you would have a case.
Good point. Thank you. What I meant was actually spa not a medical center. But I didn't know its name was spa. Actually I was there for getting some skin treatment.

Now, could you please check my sentences?

Last month when I was on my way to the spa, I was about 10 minutes late and then one of your colleagues called me and cancelled the appointment, although I was about to get there in 5 minutes. But today I have been waiting for about 30 minutes to get my work done without complaining! I think we sometimes should understand each other's situation.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How can you say you didn't know it was called a spa when you wrote "I was on my way to the spa" in post #1? :shock:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I would say:

I was almost there.

Or:

I was about five minutes from getting there.

------------------- ------------------- ------------------- ------------------

Were you at the spa again? Did you wait past your appointment time? Perhaps:

I was on time for my appointment, but I was kept waiting after my appointment time. A half hour! A freaking half hour! Pfft!

:)

(We'll have to talk about exclamation marks some time.)

it-is-niaz

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
United States
How can you say you didn't know it was called a spa when you wrote "I was on my way to the spa" in post #1? :shock:
Sorry for not being clear. Actually Tarheel in post #3 asked about some part of the context and I told him to consider that appointment as a medical center and when you made the following statement I found out that I shouldn't have told Tarheel that was a medical center. That's why I told you that I didn't know about it. I meant I didn't know about this differences between a medical center and a spa when someone is being waited because I didn't noticed about it.

You are trying to compare someone at a spa cancelling your appointment because you were over 10 minutes late with being kept waiting for 30 minutes at a medical centre. That makes no sense. Almost everyone understands that you might be kept waiting in a medical scenario or situation, because such places are prone to unexpected events, emergencies etc. That is not the case at a spa.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Sorry for not being clear. Actually Tarheel, in post #3, asked about [STRIKE]some part of[/STRIKE] the context and I told him to consider that the appointment [STRIKE]as[/STRIKE] was at a medical center. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] When you made the following statement, I [STRIKE]found out[/STRIKE] realised that I shouldn't have told Tarheel that it was a medical center. That's why I told you that I didn't know about it. I meant I didn't know [STRIKE]about[/STRIKE] [STRIKE]this[/STRIKE] the [STRIKE]differences[/STRIKE] difference between a medical center and a spa when someone is [STRIKE]being waited[/STRIKE] waiting because I didn't noticed about it.

Please note my corrections above. I don't know what you mean by the (ungrammatical) part that I have underlined and marked in blue.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Sania, every once in a while I post an example of usage. I am glad at least one person has noticed.

:-D

Status
Not open for further replies.