Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello, teachers. Could you tell me whether I should use 'time' or 'year'? Is the word 'when' necessary? Many thanks!

Our senior year was the most incredible and unforgettable. That was the last time/year when we could represent our college to compete at national championships.

Hello, teachers. Could you tell me whether I should use 'time' or 'year'? Is the word 'when' necessary? Many thanks!

Our senior year was the most incredible and unforgettable. That was the last time/year [STRIKE]when[/STRIKE] we [STRIKE]could represent[/STRIKE] represented our college to compete at the national championships.

No, it is not.

I see nothing wrong with could represent.

I agree with you. "Could" means "were able to".
But why say " we were able to represent" when you can say "we represented"?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone.
Is there a person who can tell me which is better, 'time' or 'year'?

Today, 20:49
Thanks, Piscean.
I googled and found both 'to compete at national championships' and 'to compete at the national championships' are used. What is the difference?

.I googled and found both 'to compete at national championships' and 'to compete at the national championships' are used. What is the difference?
"The national championships": specific championships, either previously mentioned or clear from context.
"National championships": any national championships.

[STRIKE]Thanks everyone. [/STRIKE]
Is there a person who can tell me which is better, 'time' or 'year'?
I'd use "time", but "year" isn't incorrect.

We appreciate the gratitude, but it saves time if you express it by clicking the "Thank" link.

"The national championships": specific championships, either previously mentioned or clear from context.
"National championships": any national championships.

It is the first time I mention it.
If I just say 'to compete at national championships', people would know I am talking about national championships in my country not other countries? Many thanks!

Note, too, that using 'represented' instead of 'could represent' changes the meaning:

1. That was the last year when we represented our college to compete at national championships.
2. That was the last year when we could represent our college to compete at national championships.

#1 means that 'we' actually did represent the college.
#2 merely states that it was possible for us ('we') to represent the college. 'We' did not necessarily do so.

I think OP did not realise that when he said #2. That was why I corrected it.

Chubby Baby, please confirm.

I think OP did not realise that when he said #2. That was why I corrected it.

Chubby Baby, please confirm.
I wasn't very sure what I wanted to say.
I just felt like saying 'could represent'.

I think [that] the OP did not realise that

Please note my correction above. "That" is optional. The definite article is not.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back