Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I don't know when the soul enters, or what the soul is, or whether I even believe in the soul, but I did like this movie. I'm so glad our laws are being written around this mystery riddle.
link with timecode

Hello. What does it mean when laws are said to be "written around" something?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
It's not a particular usage that you should worry about. The speaker just uses around to mean that there's a relation between the abortion law and the notion of a soul.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
It's not a particular usage that you should worry about. The speaker just uses around to mean that there's a relation between the abortion law and the notion of a soul.
Can we know what point is she making? There's probably no mention of the "soul" in abortion-related legislation. She says she is "glad". Why is it?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
There probably no mention of the "soul" in abortion-related legislation.

There probably is, indirectly. One of the Christian arguments against abortion involves their idea of a soul, and at what point exactly it enters a foetus' body.

One of our American members will know about this legislation much more than I do.

She says she is "glad". Why is it?

Sarcasm.

Last edited:

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
The recent trend in America to substitute "around" for "about" in such contexts is extremely annoying to me and, I imagine, to many others. But it IS a trend and as our language continues to evolve we just have to grin and bear it.

Ostap

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
The recent trend in America to substitute "around" for "about" in such contexts is extremely annoying to me and, I imagine, to many others. But it IS a trend and as our language continues to evolve we just have to grin and bear it.
Do you mean it's the literal meaning of "about" as in "write a book about politics"?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Yes. They are using "around" as a preposition to mean "about".

@jutfrank. It's not about legislation, however. They are discussing judge-made law. The US Supreme Court is expected to issue a decision very soon on whether to uphold or restrict women's right to an abortion, which was first established in the case of Roe v. Wade. A supposed draft of the court's decision has been leaked in the last few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.