Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hi.

Are the following sentences natural?

1) Lay aside your book and go to bed. (unlikely. Parents will say something more softly.)
2) Plans for the new building were laid aside. (maybe okay)
3) It is the time we lay aside old prejudices. (maybe okay.)
4) He laid aside one hour a day for reading. (why not "set aside"?)

Source: Personal notebook of sentences with unknown origins.

I'd use set aside in all four. Number three has a superfluous word.

I'd use set aside in all four. Number three has a superfluous word.

It is [STRIKE]the [/STRIKE]time we
set aside old prejudices.

Is this better?

I think "put aside" works better in #1.

I thought "set aside" is usually used with non-physical things like time, a plan, decison, judgement, etc.

3) It's time we laid aside old prejudices.

Or

It's time to lay aside old prejudices.

I thought "set aside" is usually used with non-physical things like time, a plan, decision, judgement, etc.

I disagree.

Caller: Do you have any packets of yeast?
Shopworker: Yes.
Caller: Great. Can you set one aside for me? I'll pop in for it at about 4.
Shopworker: That's fine.

Caller: Do you have any packets of yeast?
Shopworker: Yes.
Clearly not an American grocery. Yeast disappeared from their shelves early in the pandemic as locked-down people decided to try baking bread. The largest manufacturer, Fleischmann's, had no trouble making enough yeast to fill the increased demand; the stuff grows really fast. They couldn't package it, though. The little brown jars they put it in come from a plant in India which was itself shut down to contain the spread of the disease.

Clearly not an American grocery. Yeast disappeared from their shelves early in the pandemic as locked-down people decided to try baking bread. The largest manufacturer, Fleischmann's, had no trouble making enough yeast to fill the increased demand; the stuff grows really fast. They couldn't package it, though. The little brown jars they put it in come from a plant in India which was itself shut down to contain the spread of the disease.

I was going to mention that I'd used an unlikely product (these days)!

Little brown jars? Are you sure? (I've only seen it sold in little paper packets.)

Little brown jars? Are you sure? (I've only seen it sold in little paper packets.)
You can normally buy Fleischmann's yeast in individual packets or in brown glass jars. The article I read didn't address the question of whether the company could increase its production of packets to make up for the lack of jars, but I'd have to guess there's a reason why they couldn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back