leaf-peeping

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's one for our American friends to answer. Most of them won't wake up for a few hours yet.

I've never heard it in the UK, though many of us do share a love of the activity described.

I saw it for the first time just a couple of days ago. The person who used it seemed to be familiar with it.

I had to look it up. I was envisioning something a bit naughtier.
Unfortunately our trees don't change to that colour in Australia.

What color do they change to?

I would not say it's a super common term, but it's understandable. Especially this time of year

I was envisioning something a bit naughtier.

Ditto! I've only just got round to opening the link in post #1 and I was slightly disappointed! ;-)

Did you envisage something like this?
137001094-guy-lurking-in-the-bushes-a-child-hides-in-the-green-leaves-to-play-hide-and-seek-autd.jpg
:?:

How do you express the idea of enjoying the colors of leaves in fall? Is my sentence below natural?

In fall I often go to XXX to enjoy the (great/amazing/breathtaking) views of the foliage.

Did you envisage something like this?
View attachment 3662
:?:

How do you express the idea of enjoying the colors of leaves in fall? Is my sentence below natural?

In fall I often go to XXX to enjoy the (great/amazing/breathtaking) views of the foliage.
The little boy is peering out from behind some leaves. "Leaf peeping" is apparently going out to enjoy views of fall foliage. The foliage can be spectacularly beautiful in places that have a lot of maple trees mixed with other deciduous tree. My region has beautiful fall foliage, but our stormy climate means the leaves usually get blown off the trees within a week or two.

I've never heard the term. I'd just refer to the activity in question as 'viewing fall foliage' or 'seeing fall foliage' or even 'looking at fall foliage'. You also start hearing about fall foliage sight-seeing tours about this time of the year.

Maybe I'm just dirty minded, but my immediate thought was of that fig leaf in sculptures...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back