Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Italy
Hello,
I need a short book to teach writing in English. Please share your thoughts.
For example, is my writing wrong or incomprehensible here?

Thank you.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello.

I need a short book to teach writing me how to write [better] in English. Please share your thoughts. For example, is my writing this post wrong or incomprehensible? here?

Thank you. There's no need to thank anyone in advance. Thank us after we help you, by adding the "Thanks" icon to any post you find useful.
Note my corrections and comment above. There's a difference between wrong and incomprehensible. Clearly, I understood what you meant even though I had to make some corrections.

Why do you specifically need help with written English? Don't you need to improve your general English (spoken and written)? What sort of texts do you want to write? There are different styles of writing depending on your audience.

hack3rcon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Italy
Note my corrections and comment above. There's a difference between wrong and incomprehensible. Clearly, I understood what you meant even though I had to make some corrections.

Why do you specifically need help with written English? Don't you need to improve your general English (spoken and written)? What sort of texts do you want to write? There are different styles of writing depending on your audience.
Hello,
Thank you so much for your reply.
Great correction, but "I need a short book to teach writing in English." sentence can be true. Maybe I don't just mean myself. ;)
I want to write a story and I want a book that will teach me how to write in English in a nutshell. The general English is not OK for story writing?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello.
Those were great corrections no comma here but "I need a short book to teach writing in English no full stop here" sentence can be true. Maybe I don't just mean myself. ;)
I want to write a story and I want a book that will teach me how to write in English in a nutshell. The Is general English is not OK for story writing?
In that case, you need "I need a short book to help me with English writing". It wasn't clear from post #1 that you wanted to write a story. That's why I asked what kinds of texts you were talking about.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Just as there are various stories there are different ways to tell stories. For example, I might tell a story starting in the middle. It depends. What does it depend on? Well, to some extent it depends on what I think would be the most interesting way to tell that story.

hack3rcon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Italy
In that case, you need "I need a short book to help me with English writing". It wasn't clear from post #1 that you wanted to write a story. That's why I asked what kinds of texts you were talking about.
Thank you so much.
Which book is suitable for me?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I'm afraid I have no idea. I don't teach English for creative writing. Someone else might have a suggestion. Can you tell us whether you're looking for a book specifically aimed at learners of English as a foreign language, or would a general creative writing guide suit you?

hack3rcon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Italy
I'm afraid I have no idea. I don't teach English for creative writing. Someone else might have a suggestion. Can you tell us whether you're looking for a book specifically aimed at learners of English as a foreign language, or would a general creative writing guide suit you?
Thank you so much.
Please forget the creative writing.
A book that teaches English (especially writing) as a second language.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
What exactly do you mean when you say 'writing'? Writing what? For whom? Why?

Or are you talking about very general writing skills like punctuating, sentencing, paragraphing?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@hack3rcon Two things. One, I assume you didn't like post #5. Two, I suggest that you post something in the essay subforum saying a few things about your favorite subject.

Maybe you could talk about where you would like to go on vacation -- especially if it's somewhere you haven't been to before.

hack3rcon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Italy
What exactly do you mean when you say 'writing'? Writing what? For whom? Why?

Or are you talking about very general writing skills like punctuating, sentencing, paragraphing?
Hello,
Normal writing, something like chatting or writing a simple text.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Hello. (There's no need for a greeting on any of your posts.)

Thank you so much for your reply. (Unnecessary. Indicate your gratitude by adding the "Thanks" icon to any post you find helpful.)

I want to improve my normal writing, for something like chatting or writing a simple text.
Note my comments and corrections above. It's important to write complete sentences on the forum.

The best way to improve your English is to read lots of English content. Try some news websites. Don't look at Facebook/YouTube/Twitter comments! The writers of those posts rarely care about grammar, punctuation or spelling.

hack3rcon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Italy
Note my comments and corrections above. It's important to write complete sentences on the forum.

The best way to improve your English is to read lots of English content. Try some news websites. Don't look at Facebook/YouTube/Twitter comments! The writers of those posts rarely care about grammar, punctuation or spelling.
Thanks.
You got grammatical errors from my writing. What book is suitable so that I don't have such mistakes?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks.
You got have found some grammatical errors from in my writing. What book is suitable so would be useful to ensure that I don't have make such mistakes?
I'm rushing out now but someone will, no doubt, recommend a couple of books shortly.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@hack3rcon This is just my opinion, but I think that if you take the corrections seriously that you can learn very fast by making mistakes here. Just make sure you learn from them (the corrections) and you don't make the same mistakes twice.

(Not all forums are like this one.)

hack3rcon

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Italy
@hack3rcon This is just my opinion, but I think that if you take the corrections seriously that you can learn very fast by making mistakes here. Just make sure you learn from them (the corrections) and you don't make the same mistakes twice.

(Not all forums are like this one.)

Hello,
Thanks.
No book?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@hack3rcon Have you googled "books on writing"?

You can also try "books for ESL students"

You will get plenty of results for either one.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I don't think any of us really understand what you want.

Normal writing, something like chatting or writing a simple text.

What is 'normal writing'? In what way is chatting a kind of writing?

Are you sure you're not asking about general grammar and vocabulary?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
@hack3rcon The two most frequently recommended books on this forum are:

English Grammar in Use by Raymond Murphy
Practical English Usage by Michael Swan

I think you need to forget your idea of just learning to write English. You simply need to learn English. How you're going to use it (spoken or written) is, at your level, irrelevant.

Inanceda

Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Canada
Thank you so much.
Hi there! There are numerous English books that can help improve creative writing skills. Here are a few of my personal favourites:
  • "On Writing" by Stephen King
    A memoir and guide that offers valuable insights into the craft of writing.
  • "Bird by Bird" by Anne Lamott
    A witty and practical book that provides advice on overcoming writing challenges and nurturing creativity.
  • "The Elements of Style" by William Strunk Jr. and E.B. White
    A classic guide to writing with clarity and style, focusing on grammar, punctuation, and effective composition.
  • "Steering the Craft" by Ursula K. Le Guin
    A book that delves into the nuances of writing, exploring different aspects like point of view, voice, and sentence structure.
  • "The Art of Fiction" by John Gardner
    A comprehensive guide to the craft of fiction writing, covering topics such as plot development, character creation, and dialogue.
  • "Writing Down the Bones" by Natalie Goldberg
    A book that encourages free writing and explores the process of tapping into one's creativity.
  • "Reading Like a Writer" by Francine Prose
    An exploration of how reading can enhance writing skills, with a focus on close reading and analysis of literary works.
Remember, practice and experimentation are key to improving your creative writing. These books can provide valuable guidance and inspiration, but ultimately, the act of writing regularly and exploring your unique voice will help you grow as a writer. Also, if you're looking for translation of technical documents you should better pay to a professional instead of risking, it is really important.

Last edited by a moderator: