Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Should I use "like" or "alike" in my sentence?

"Sometimes I picture horrible scenes in my mind. They are alike situations from the Grudge."

Use "like" in that sentence. We don't follow "alike" with a noun. It usually ends a clause.

The scenes in my mind and situations from The Grudge are alike.

Use "like" in that sentence. We don't follow "alike" with a noun. It usually ends a clause.

The scenes in my mind and situations from The Grudge are alike.

What about "I picture horrible scenes in my mind. They are like the situations from the Grudge." Is this natural?

Yes, although I don't think you need both "I picture" and "in my mind". Also, I'd probably make them into one sentence.

I picture horrible scenes like those in The Grudge.

Which film are you talking about - Grudge (2020) or The Grudge (2004)? If it's the former, don't use "the" in your sentence; just say "in/from Grudge", or "in/from the film Grudge". If it's the latter, use "in/from The Grudge". Make sure to capitalise the first word and always put film titles in italics.

Yes, although I don't think you need both "I picture" and "in my mind". Also, I'd probably make them into one sentence.

I picture horrible scenes like those in The Grudge.

Which film are you talking about - Grudge (2020) or The Grudge (2004)? If it's the former, don't use "the" in your sentence; just say "in/from Grudge", or "in/from the film Grudge". If it's the latter, use "in/from The Grudge". Make sure to capitalise the first word and always put film titles in italics.

Oh, thanks. I meant "The Grudge" (2004). If there is no article in the title, I should not add it either, but if there is then I use it innthe same way as it is in the title. Right? And the definite article is also capitalized in different titles. Am I right? I can't use italics. I don't know why. It doesn't let me use them.

You should always copy book/film/song titles exactly as they're written officially. For films, imdb.com is a useful site if you want to see exactly how it should be written. Short connecting words (and/the/of etc) are sometimes not capitalised if they appear anywhere after the first word of the title. If "The" is the first word of the title, it is always capitalised.

Can you not use italics because you can't see/use the toolbar above the box you're typing in?

You should always copy book/film/song titles exactly as they're written officially. For films, imdb.com is a useful site if you want to see exactly how it should be written. Short connecting words (and/the/of etc) are sometimes not capitalised if they appear anywhere after the first word of the title. If "The" is the first word of the title, it is always capitalised.

Can you not use italics because you can't see/use the toolbar above the box you're typing in?

I can see it. I can't use it. This is what happens when I try to use it[ ]]. These appear but nothing changes.

Off topic but I just noticed how you used "sometimes" between verbs. I remember the discussion about it usually used at the beginning of a sentence, but I also remember what you said about saying "usually" instead of "always" and "never" when it comes to grammar. It would be wrong to say that it's never used between verbs. Right?

It would be wrong to say that it's never used between verbs. Right?

Yes. Frequency adverbs are often used between verbs - before full verbs and after auxiliary verbs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back