Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is there any difference between lonely and alone? Do they have different meaning?

Thanks alot:)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is there any difference between lonely and alone? Do they have different meaning?

Thanks alot:)

Yes, they are different. "Alone" simply means that there are no other people with you. "Lonely" is an emotion. It means that you feel sad and you feel as if you are alone. You might not be alone. It's possible to feel lonely even in a room full of people.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
They have different meanings. Try looking them up here, OneLook Dictionary Search, and come back if you have any problems.

Cut!e P!e

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Yes, they are different. "Alone" simply means that there are no other people with you. "Lonely" is an emotion. It means that you feel sad and you feel as if you are alone. You might not be alone. It's possible to feel lonely even in a room full of people.

Thank you very much!:)

They have different meanings. Try looking them up here, OneLook Dictionary Search, and come back if you have any problems.

That's a great website.
Thanks!;-)

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I should have made it clear that "lonely" is an adjective, describing the feeling experienced when suffering "loneliness", the actual emotion.

euncu

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Turkey
Current Location
Turkey

But will I be correct if I'm to use the word alone as an indication of being isolated from others. So one might feel alone in a crowded room. Is my interpretation right?

Thanks for the answers in advance.

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
But will I be correct if I[STRIKE]'m to[/STRIKE] use the word "alone" as an indication of being isolated from others. So one might feel alone in a crowded room. Is my interpretation right?
You can feel alone, but you cannot really be alone in a crowded room, unless you are indicating that your partner is not with you.

Status
Not open for further replies.