Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Is it common to say 'someone has eyes like a hawk'? I heard it somewhere but I can't find it in dictionaries.

Are these okay?

1. Lucy has eyes like a hawk. The other day, she saw Mr Smith walking down the mall and recognised her from 100 feet.
2. David has eyes like a hawk. I've never seen a footballer with such remarkable vision.
3. Our teacher had eyes like a hawk. We could never cheat in the exams.
4. His driver has eyes like a hawk. He can spot a danger on the road from a very long distance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
They're OK but it's not a set phrase. I wonder if you're mixing it up with "watch someone/something like a hawk" which is a common simile.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Is it common to say 'someone has eyes like a hawk'? I heard it somewhere but I can't find it in dictionaries.

Can you access Google? If so, click here.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
In the first one I'm guessing you meant "Mrs. Smith".

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
They're OK but it's not a set phrase. I wonder if you're mixing it up with "watch someone/something like a hawk" which is a common simile.
No, I wasn't confusing them. In the example from this dictionary, it means the person is very 'observant', which is not what I have in mind.

Mom has eyes like a hawk, so she'll definitely notice if you sneak some of those cookies out of the kitchen.

I want to convey someone can spot something from a long distance. Can I use the phrase in this way?

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I'd say 'have eyes like a hawk' is a set phrase, or at least so common as to nearly be one. Your examples are all natural in AmE.

You'll sometimes hear 'eagle' in place of 'hawk', plus the related adjectives eagle-eyed and hawk-eyed.

Hawkeye is also a nickname for a few fictional characters who were exceptionally skilled marksmen, presumably due to their keen eyesight - namely Natty Bumppo from the James Fenimore Cooper Leatherstocking Tales and Clint Barton from the Marvel comics.

Amigos4

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Hawkeye is also a nickname for a few fictional characters who were exceptionally skilled marksmen, presumably due to their keen eyesight - namely Natty Bumppo from the James Fenimore Cooper Leatherstocking Tales and Clint Barton from the Marvel comics.
Let’s not forget to include Benjamin Franklin "Hawkeye" Pierce, the Chief Surgeon of the 4077th M*A*S*H unit. His nickname, "Hawkeye," comes from a character in the novel The Last of the Mohicans. He is portrayed by Donald Sutherland in the motion picture and by Alan Alda in the television show.

Skrej

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Pierce's nickname didn't refer to any particular talent or ability, though. It was simply taken from the Cooper books. Pierce claimed Last of the Mohicans was the only book his dad ever read.

Considering his dad was also a doctor, I always found it a bit strange that an otherwise highly educated man wasn't much of a reader.