Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
A kid's father told him to study but as soon as his father left the room he went to his bed and was lying on it. I walked into his room and saw him lying on his bed. I said:

"What if he comes in and finds you lying on (the) bed?"

I've heard people saying 'bed' without any article. For example- He's lying in bed./ I'm going to bed.
Is it correct to say 'lying on bed?'

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
A kid's father told him to study but as soon as his father left the room he went [STRIKE]to his bed and was lying[/STRIKE] and lay on his bed. [STRIKE]it.[/STRIKE] I walked into his room and saw him lying on his bed. I said:

"What if he comes in and finds you lying on (the) bed?"

I've heard people saying 'bed' without any article. For example- He's lying in bed./ I'm going to bed.
No, as Piscean said, "the" is needed. However, you can say: "What if he comes in and finds you lying in bed?" In that case, you should not use "the", because the reference in "lying in bed" is not to a particular bed.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
No, as Piscean said, "the" is needed. However, you can say: "What if he comes in and finds you lying in bed?" In that case, you should not use "the", because the reference in "lying in bed" is not to a particular bed.

That's the problem. He wasn't 'in' the bed he was 'on' it. Do we always use 'the' when using 'on' in this context?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes. You cannot say "He is lying on bed". You can say "He is lying in bed", "He is lying in the bed" and "He is lying on the bed".

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"He's lying in the bed" doesn't work for me. It sounds like he cut the mattress open and crawled inside.

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
"He's lying in the bed" doesn't work for me. It sounds like he cut the mattress open and crawled inside.

When using 'in' do you always prefer 'in bed' without the article?

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
Yes. You cannot say "He is lying on bed". You can say "He is lying in bed", "He is lying in the bed" and "He is lying on the bed".

How do I know whether to use the article or not? :-?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
When using 'in' do you always prefer 'in bed' without the article?

I do. Example:

I was in bed until I got up. Then of course I wasn't in bed anymore.
:)

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You'll just have to learn it!

"in bed" is not really about your actual location but more about what you're doing. If you're in bed, you're probably sleeping or having a lie-in. If someone was hiding from you and you found them under the covers, you could say you found them in the bed. That's about location. It would be wrong to say you found them in bed. And you would only use "on the bed" if the person was lying on top of the covers.

Bear in mind, too, that "in bed" can be used to mean "having sex". For example, "John is divorcing Sarah because he found her in bed with his best friend!"

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
I do. It's possible that British English speakers don't.
I see. So for American speakers it's 'in bed' without the article. And how about 'on the bed?' Do you prefer 'on the bed?'

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
You'll just have to learn it!

"in bed" is not really about your actual location but more about what you're doing. If you're in bed, you're probably sleeping or having a lie-in. If someone was hiding from you and you found them under the covers, you could say you found them in the bed. That's about location. It would be wrong to say you found them in bed. And you would only use "on the bed" if the person was lying on top of the covers.

Bear in mind, too, that "in bed" can be used to mean "having sex". For example, "John is divorcing Sarah because he found her in bed with his best friend!"
I see. So if someone asked where Jack is, would it be correct to say- "He's probably sleeping in the bed." I think one would normally say 'He's probably sleeping in his bed" but only for the sake of learning.....

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see. So for American speakers it's 'in bed' without the article. And how about 'on the bed?' Do you prefer 'on the bed?'
We've answered this before recently. "In bed" means "under the top sheet and blanket or comforter", as when you're ready to go to sleep. "On the bed" means "on top of whatever sheets, blankets, bedspreads, etc. are on the bed."

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Interesting. I recently told somebody I had been napping (asleep). I forgot to mention that I had been in bed.
;-)

Ashraful Haque

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bengali; Bangla
Home Country
Bangladesh
Current Location
Bangladesh
We've answered this before recently. "In bed" means "under the top sheet and blanket or comforter", as when you're ready to go to sleep. "On the bed" means "on top of whatever sheets, blankets, bedspreads, etc. are on the bed."
Thank you but that wasn't my question. I know the difference between 'on/in bed.' My question was actually about the article after 'on.'
Since you guys already said that you prefer saying 'in bed' my question is whether you prefer 'on the bed' or 'on bed.'

Would you in any circumstance say 'on bed' without the article.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK

No. You need the definite article there.

Would you in any circumstance say 'on bed' without the article.

In none that come to mind.

I think there's enough information there for you to be quite sure we don't say "on bed".

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
I must point out that the sequence of words "on bed" is not impossible in English.

For example:
It is not unusual for such dust mites to be found on bed frames and old mattresses.

However, please stick to the advice given to you above. In other words, "on bed" on its own is not natural.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I must point out that the sequence of words "on bed" is not impossible in English.

For example:
It is not unusual for such dust mites to be found on bed frames and old mattresses.
In the phrase "on bed frames," "bed" modifies "frames," the head of the noun phrase, just as "old" modifies "mattresses" in "old mattresses."

"On bed" is not a constituent in that sentence. We can say, "They are found on frames and mattresses," but not "[strike]They are found on bed and old.[/strike]"

The OED lists "bed-frames" as a hyphenated compound, like "bed-sheets". It lists as closed noun compounds "bedtime" and "bedbugs."

It occurred to me that one could say, facetiously, something like "He's on bed duty right now," using "bed duty" as an open compound.

"On bed duty" can be found in such usage on Google, including Google Books. I doubt "He's on bed duty" could be shortened to ? "He's on bed."

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, I was just pointing out that it is possible to have that sequence of words. Here's another example:

I've browsed the entire website, and there's not much on bed reviews I'm afraid.

Status
Not open for further replies.