Student or Learner
Native Language
Slovak
Home Country
Slovak Republic
Current Location
Slovak Republic
I read these two sentences in a DM article today:

'Unfortunately... you lie all the time through your face,' a female voice can be heard saying on the audio tape obtained by A Current Affair.
'The comment that really upset me the most was "you lie from your face". I would say that's verbal abuse, she's five,' she said.

(Daily Mail, 'Melissa was concerned her daughter was being bullied at a Queensland school so she fitted her with a listening device: what she heard next left her mortified')

What's the difference between "you lie from your face", "you lie through your face", "you lie on your face", "you lie in your face" and "you lie to your face"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I am only familiar with "lied to my face", but apparently the British have a lot of variations on that which I am unfamiliar with. Let's wait for some British English speakers to comment.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I can't make any sense of the limited context given in post #1. What is 'lie through/from your face' supposed to mean?

Can you post a link to the whole context?

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I think the speaker messed up the idea of "lie through your teeth."

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
@Uncanny, you posted the exact same thread in WRForums in the exact same minute as this one.

Please don't post the same question to multiple forums at the same time. You should have waited at least a day for people here to respond. If you then decided to post to another forum, you should include a link to this thread so that users there know you're asking in more than one place. It wastes the valuable time of members of both forums to find they're answering a question that has been answered somewhere else already.
(emsr2d2)

Last edited: