Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Russian Federation
Current Location
Russian Federation
I came across a website that gives a few definitions of the phrasal verb "to make at":

It seemed really odd to me that I couldn't find the phrasal verb "to make at" in any other dictionary (Cambridge, Longman, Collins, Webster etc). Is it outdated?

The only one of the five examples in that link that bears any relation to anything I've ever heard/said is #3. The rest, to me, are nonsense. If I were you, I'd forget you ever saw it.

I've never heard of it before. Also, those example sentences are not very convincing that it is used as a phrasal verb. For example, "It's something you can make at home" simply follows "make" with "at". (Where can you make it? At home.)

That is truly an appalling website, AI at its worst.

here are some examples it gives for 'make after';

"Make After"​

(1) Make after you read a book.
(2) Make after you walk the dog.
(3) Make after you mow the lawn.
(4) Make after you take a shower.
(5) Make after you watch a movie.
(6) Make after you have breakfast.
(7) Make after you pay your bills.
(8) Make after you clean your room.
(9) Make after you do your laundry.
(10) Make after you paint the walls.

Some more gems from that site:

"Make Mistake"​

(1) Make mistake and learn from it!
(2) Make mistake and grow stronger!
(3) Don't be afraid to make mistake!
(4) Make mistake and surprise yourself!
(5) Make mistake and show your resilience!
(6) Make mistake and become a trailblazer!
(7) Make mistake and leave a lasting impact!
(8) Wow, you really know how to make mistake!
(9) Make mistake and find your true potential!
(10) Make mistake and let your creativity shine!

My final gems from that site:

The letter "s" can be used to modify adjectives and adverbs, indicating a higher degree or intensity.
By adding "s" to the end of an adjective or adverb, we create the comparative form.
Additionally, adding "s" and "t" to the end of an adjective or adverb creates the superlative form. Example sentence: "This book is more interesting than the previous one."

I might grudgingly accept #2. I have heard the question "What are you making at" meaning something like 'What are you suggesting' or 'what are you attempting to do..

However, I've never really considered it a phrasal verb, just an obscure set phrase. It's more commonly heard as "What are you getting at?"

Thanks a lot! I'll never use it.

Back