Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I read this expression, "many years into one possible future", but am finding it difficult to understand it. Could you please let me know what it means? Here is the excerpt:

Adriaan was hesitating, he did not want to tell me very much more about whatever had taken place in Lisbon, or perhaps he did not know how to put it into words. He looked suddenly tired, and I understood that what had happened had been its own thing for him, in the way that these past months had been for me, and it occurred to me that many years into one possible future, we might be living together in some state of sustained harmony, that against the odds we might yet have succeeded in growing old together. We could be one of those couples whose mutual understanding had such depth and history that we no longer needed to explain things to each other, our routines set long ago, our knowledge of each other, and of our relationship, absolute. And still we might never have told each other what took place these past two months. This time would remain a blind spot in the rearview mirror of our relationship, around which we would carefully maneuver, until the act of that accommodation became second nature, until we no longer even noticed it.

- Katie Kitamura, Intimacies, Chapter 16

This is a novel published in 2021 in the United States of America. The protagonist is an interpreter working at the International Criminal Court at The Hague. Now she is thinking that perhaps she and her boyfriend Adriaan might succeed in spending the rest of their lives together without Adriaan's explanation about his recent silence.

In this part, I am having difficulties in understanding the underlined noun phrase.
I guess "after" might be omitted before "many years," but then I wonder what "into" might mean.
Would it perhaps mean: "many years would pass, and change into one possible future, and at that moment"...? o_O (Though this is just my guess.)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It's speculation. It's about one possible future among many. (There are many possible futures.)

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Get the meaning clear first. It really just means 'many years in the future'. This particular future that she's imagining is just one possible future.

Coffee Break

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
@Tarheel and @jutfrank,

Thank you very much for the explanations!
Oh, so the narrator assumes that there are many futures, but is thinking about this one particular future.
In that case, as for "many years," would it be okay to understand "during" is hidden before it, so that it means "during many years of one possible future"...?