Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
This year, the CKE has introduced a change in the Polish Matura exam, the standardized final exam taken on completion of high school, in which the three compulsory subjects are literature, mathematics, and a modern language. The exam has seen multiple changes since its conception in 2005, but this year, the examinees are for the first time going to be asked to write in Polish on the exam in English.

Task 5 in the new version consists of a few source material texts in English, and a text in Polish which contains gaps that need to be filled with a maximum of three Polish words each, based on what the examinee understood from the source material.

The CKE's website provides an exemplary exam paper in the new version here (task 5 is on pages 8-11) and the original papers in the old version from 2015-2022 here (the exam from 2022 is available as a .pdf file here).

What do you think about this change?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
the examinees are for the first time going to be asked to write in Polish on the exam in English.
Do you mean that the candidates will have to answer in Polish?
The CKE's website provides an exemplary exam paper
Do you mean a sample paper (with model answers?), or are you really praising that sample?

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Yes, the answer is written in Polish.
That, I don't think is a good idea! You can learn about English (and answer questions about it) in another language, but that doesn't mean you've learnt how to use it properly.

Glizdka

Key Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
That, I don't think is a good idea! You can learn about English (and answer questions about it) in another language, but that doesn't mean you've learnt how to use it properly.
That's what worries me. Also, it doesn't look fair to students who don't speak Polish but study in Poland, and we have quite a lot of them.

How the final version of the exam is going to look hasn't been decided on yet. We keep seeing minor changes to some of the tasks, so I hope they rework this one. The exam's in May.

DarrellSmall

Member Type
Other
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
Australia
This year, the CKE has introduced a change in the Polish Matura exam, the standardized final exam taken on completion of high school, in which the three compulsory subjects are literature, mathematics, and a modern language. The exam has seen multiple changes since its conception in 2005, but this year, the examinees are for the first time going to be asked to write in Polish on the exam in English.

Task 5 in the new version consists of a few source material texts in English, and a text in Polish which contains gaps that need to be filled with a maximum of three Polish words each, based on what the examinee understood from the source material.

The CKE's website provides an exemplary exam paper in the new version here (task 5 is on pages 8-11) and the original papers in the old version from 2015-2022 here (the exam from 2022 is available as a .pdf file here).

What do you think about this change?
I don't think it is a good idea. It will affect students mostly who doesn't know Polish language.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
Hello @DarrellSmall and welcome to the forum. We ask members' to state their native language because it may help us to better assist them. Please correct your profile to show your true native language. All we know is that it certainly isn't English.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I don't think it is a good idea. It will affect students mostly who doesn't know Polish language.
I would drastically change the second sentence. Perhaps: "While most native speakers of Polish might not have any problems, it would adversely affect those whose native language is not Polish."

Status
Not open for further replies.