Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
According to Collins online dictionary, ‘dogma’ has a meaning of a positive, arrogant assertion of opinion.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/dictionary/english/dogma

If so, is ‘dogmatic idea’ is also called a dogma?

I’ve made up a sentence.
I think he is dangerous because he has a dogma about politics.

Is the sentence above natural as American English?
If not, I’d like to know sentence examples that Americans might say using dogma.

It's not natural. Although it may occasionally be used countably, dogma is usually an uncountable noun.

Thank you for posting.
If I omit an article, is it natural to you?

I think he is dangerous because he has dogma about politics.

Try:

His opinions are dogmatic.

Or:

He's dogmatic in his opinions.

Thank you for posting.

Are you going to make a habit of that?

Don't say 'have dogma'. It's not something that you can have.

I suggest you look up lots more examples of the use of this word before trying to make your own sentences.

Try:

His opinions are dogmatic.

Or:

He's dogmatic in his opinions.

Thank you for posting.

Are you going to make a habit of that?

Any problem? Maybe it's strange for you guys? If you don't have a habit of saying 'posting', please let me know. I'm a total stranger in this question and answer site. Most of the time, it's really hard for me to undersntand Enliglish. Too difficult to understand jokes, either.

Any problem? Maybe it's strange for you guys? If you don't have a habit of saying 'posting', please let me know. I'm a total stranger in this question and answer site. Most of the time, it's really hard for me to understand English. Too difficult to understand jokes, either.

I'm sorry to be a bother, but I just don't understand the necessity for that line.

No problem. I just don't know how I write English way. In my country's question and answer sites, everybody writes thanks to postings. But that's not the way here, I guess.

According to a handout that my teacher made for students says, ‘dogma’ is used as a dogmatic opinion to imply some sort of criticism towards weird doctrines. Is that true?

It doesn't have to be a "weird" doctrine. Saying someone is "dogmatic" about something indicates that they are unwilling to change their mind. This can be good or bad, depending on the item is question. It is usually used as a criticism.

I'm a total stranger in this question and answer site.

No, you're not. You written over 130 posts over the course of over 13 years!

There's nothing special about the American English use of this word, by the way.

Last edited:
130 posts in 13 years??? Then I am very slow to learn rules and regulations in this site...
I hope somebody gives me example sentences of ‘dogma’ which has a meaning of a positive, arrogant assertion of opinion.

I had checked about 10 online dictionaries before I posted to this site. Some dictionaries don’t have example sentences, and others have too difficult for me to understand.

The usage would be rare, but I’d like to be able to use it.

An opinion that's dogmatic isn't necessarily based on facts.

You're more likely to say somebody else's opinion is dogmatic. It's generally considered negative chriticism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back