Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
source: https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/03/16/footage-shows-truck-being-swept-off-bridge-in-turkey-floods/

The sentence:
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said rescue teams were still searching for five people reported missing in three locations, after the flash floods turned streets in Adiyaman and Sanliurfa provinces into rivers, swept away cars, inundated homes and drenched campsiteIs sheltering earthquake survivors.

This is the first time I face the word: inundate
Its meaning: to cover with a flood : overflow.
I thought its meaning should be related to word "date" somehow, but to my surprise it has nothing to do with it.
Will be happy if you could throw some light on this word with prefixes in and un

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
There is no prefix and the word has nothing to do with "date". You can check the word etymology if you want to know how it is derived.

Last edited by a moderator:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The sentence:
Interior Minister Suleyman Soylu said rescue teams were still searching for five people reported missing in three locations, after the flash floods turned streets in Adiyaman and Sanliurfa provinces into rivers, swept away cars, inundated homes and drenched campsiteIs sheltering earthquake survivors.

S
ource: https://www.1news.co.nz/2023/03/16/footage-shows-truck-being-swept-off-bridge-in-turkey-floods/

This is the first time I face have seen the word no colon here "inundate", Its meaning no colon here "to cover with a flood/overflow".
I thought its the meaning should would be related to the word "date" somehow no comma here but, to my surprise, it has nothing to do with it.
Will I would be happy if you could throw shed some light on this word with that seems to have both the prefixes "in-" and "un-".
Please note my corrections above, including the improvement to the layout. Always put the quote before the source.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The initial 'in-' is a prefix.

The stem is -und(a)-.

The ending '-ate' is a very common verb suffix.

There's no connection between the 'd' of '-unda-' and the '-ate' suffix, so there's no 'date' to speak of.

yabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Thanks. Is the word "under" comes from same root?
The initial 'in-' is a prefix.

The stem is -und(a)-.

The ending '-ate' is a very common verb suffix.

There's no connection between the 'd' of '-unda-' and the '-ate' suffix, so there's no 'date' to speak of.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is Does the word "under" comes come from the same root?
Note the correct way to construct such a question. If you want to start with "Is", you need to omit "come".

Does the word "under" come from the same root?
Is the word "under" from the same root?

yabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Note the correct way to construct such a question. If you want to start with "Is", you need to omit "come".

Does the word "under" come from the same root?
Is the word "under" from the same root?
Thanks a lot. I was unaware of this point.
What a wonderful forum is UsingEnglish? I love it and all it's participants for their help and support.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Thanks a lot. I was unaware of this point.
What a wonderful forum is UsingEnglish is! I love it and all it's its participants for their help and support.
We look forward to helping you more.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Perhaps, but it's debatable. The Latin root is inundare meaning to overflow.

There are three morphemes in inundare.

The -unda- part relates to a wavelike movement, and the initial in- part can be read to mean something like 'onto' or 'into'. Think of a wave flowing onto a piece of land. Inundation is not really about something (say, a river) overflowing, but about the water of the river flowing onto the banks.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
I don't see why "in" being a morpheme makes it a prefix but let's not quibble over something that's unimportant to most of our forum members.

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
You wrote: We look forward to helping you more.
It's a correct sentence.

Is it correct to use ing form of the verb: We are looking forward helping you more.
You can, if you include "to". We are looking forward to helping you more. But what emsr2d2 said is more natural.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
You wrote: We look forward to helping you more.
Is it correct to use ing form of the verb: We are looking forward helping you more.
It's a very common mistake for learners to write, "We are looking forward to help (verb) you more, thinking that to is an infinitive which is to be followed by a base verb, when it is not. To is a preposition, not an infinitive. Looking forward to is a set phrase which isto be followed by a noun or gerund, not a verb. You look forward to something, not look forward to do something.

Your sentence above which you have dropped to is wrong.

Last edited:

yabi

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
،
It's a very common mistake for learners to write, "We are looking forward to help (verb) you more, thinking that to is an infinitive which is to be followed by a base verb, when it is not. To is a preposition, not an infinitive. Looking forward to is a set phrase which isto be followed by a noun or gerund, not a verb. You look forward to something, not look forward to do something.

Your sentence above which you have dropped to is wrong.
This is the best and most informative answer I got. Thanks a lot.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It's a very common mistake for learners to write no comma here "We are looking forward to help (verb) you more, thinking that to is an infinitive which is to be followed by a base verb, when it is not. To is a preposition, not an infinitive. Looking forward to is a set phrase which is to be followed by a noun or gerund, not a verb. You look forward to [doing] something, not look forward to do something.

Your sentence above, in which you have dropped to, is wrong.

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
"You look forward to (doing) something, not look forward to do something."

I wrote the above without "doing" to mean that which is a noun, which could be anything, including a gerund. "Look forward to" does not necessarily have to be followed by a gerund (as in the original sentence); the object could be other things like event/opportunity/appointment, etc. I wrote "something" as distinct from "to do something", as yabi was obviously not used to the phrase "to doing".

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
That's why I put it in square brackets. You specifically said that it could be followed by a noun or a gerund but then gave an example that showed only a noun ("something"). I wanted to add the gerund.

Status
Not open for further replies.