Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Cyprus
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
could you use the word soundtrack(melody or music, whatever synonym for soundtrack) as a resemblance to a narrative that keeps repeating?

I mean like an author expressing how he’s sick of hearing the same narrative over and over so he uses the word soundtrack like this: do you know how many times I have heard this sound track?

if it could be used in such context, could you please reference a literature book that contains examples of the usage? Thanks.

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
We'll be glad to welcome you to the forum and consider your question,, Times09, when you have corrected the information in your profile. We like to think that new members are telling us the truth about themselves. Click Settings and then Edit Profile.

Your anonymity will in no way be compromised.

Last edited by a moderator:

Times09

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Cyprus
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
We'll be glad to welcome you to the forum and consider your question,, Times09, when you have corrected the information in your profile. We like to think that new members are telling us the truth about themselves. Click Settings and then Edit Profile.

Your anonymity will in no way be compromised.

Thanks, I did.

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I would not use soundtrack for a book. However, if you want a musical term for a repeated refrain, how about leitmotif?

PS The profile is OK to me- you have English speakers in Cyprus who may work in the UAE, and the IP is UAE. It may look like a random spam selection, but it could be real- it's not like a native speaker of Japanese from Spain living in Aaland.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Times09, I have changed your thread title. Titles should be unique and relevant to the thread. They should contain some/all of the words/phrases/sentences you are asking us about. Your actual question should appear only in the main body of your post.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could [STRIKE]you[/STRIKE] I use the word "soundtrack" (or "melody" or "music", [STRIKE]whatever[/STRIKE] or another synonym for "soundtrack") [STRIKE]as a resemblance[/STRIKE] to refer to a narrative that keeps repeating?

I mean something like an author expressing how he’s sick of hearing the same narrative over and over so he uses the word "soundtrack" like this: "Do you know how many times I have heard this soundtrack?"

If it could be used in such a context, could you please reference a literature book that contains examples of the usage?

[STRIKE]Thanks.[/STRIKE] Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" button.

Please note my corrections above.

"Soundtrack" isn't natural in that context. There's nothing wrong with "narrative". You could use "theme". That's used in both musical and literary contexts.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I think I may have completely misunderstood the question. In fact, I have no idea what you're asking. What do you mean by 'narrative'?

Are you asking for a musical term to describe when a particular musical refrain repeats? Or is this a question about language?

Times09

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Cyprus
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I’m asking if I could use the word “soundtrack” to refer to a narrative being repeated, as In you keep hearing the same narrative in the news.

Times09

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Cyprus
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
"Soundtrack" isn't natural in that context. There's nothing wrong with "narrative". You could use "theme". That's used in both musical and literary contexts.

Could you clarify more? I don’t get what you mean by “there’s nothing wrong with narrative”.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I’m asking if I could use the word “soundtrack” to refer to a narrative being repeated, such as [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] when you keep hearing the same narrative in the news.

Note my changes above.

I think you've misunderstood the meaning of the word "soundtrack". It doesn't involve repetition. For example, the soundtrack of a film consists of lots of different pieces of music.

You could use "soundtrack" metaphorically, I suppose, if you're including a variety of things within another thing.

Covid; lockdown; protect the NHS; track and trace; get the jab. The soundtrack to 2020 in the UK.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could you clarify more? I don’t get what you mean by “there’s nothing wrong with narrative”.

I mean that the word "narrative" seems to be the perfect word for the context you're describing.

Times09

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Cyprus
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
I’m trying to find out if the word “soundtrack” was ever used in a literature book (novel, poetry etc) in this context to refer to a phrase or a narrative being repeated.

Times09

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Cyprus
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
“Do you know how many times I have heard this narrative?"

Times09

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Cyprus
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Yes, I understand the word “soundtrack” doesn’t involve repetition, could you give me more examples on “including a variety of things within another thing”?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Yes, I understand the word “soundtrack” doesn’t involve repetition. Could you give me more examples [strike]on[/strike] of “including a variety of things within another thing”?

We don't do all the work here, Times09. I gave you an example sentence from which you should be able to extrapolate what I mean. You could try writing some example sentences of your own and then we can see if you understand how it might be used metaphorically.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I’m trying to find out if the word “soundtrack” was ever used in a literature book (novel, poetry etc) in this context to refer to a phrase or a narrative being repeated.

Do you think we've read every book and poem ever written? This isn't the kind of thing you can expect us to answer.

Times09

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Cyprus
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Do you mean It can’t be used metaphorically in a context that refer to repeated narrative? If it could, I should be able to find it in a literature book.

Times09

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Abkhazian
Home Country
Cyprus
Current Location
United Arab Emirates
Do you think we've read every book and poem ever written? This isn't the kind of thing you can expect us to answer.

Should I be asking Literature professors then?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
My example sentence uses it metaphorically in the context of a repeated narrative. Pretty much all we heard in 2020 in the UK were the words I listed. That's why I put them together and called them a soundtrack.

For all I know, it might have been used in "a literature book" (whatever that is). I'm simply saying that we can't tell you whether it has been or it hasn't been. You will have to do your own research.

Status
Not open for further replies.