Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
What's the difference between meter and rhyme in poetry? They seem to have similar translations, but I don't know exact difference. Rhyme seems to be the last word repeated in each line, but meter seems to be in any position, I guess. I mean, meter is broader than rhyme, but I'm not sure.

ex)Before the 20th century, poets were counted on to create poetry that rhymed and followed a metered pattern. However, there were those who disregarded the traditional structure used by many and chose instead to write in free or blank verse. Free verse lacks any noticeable pattern, while blank verse maintains meter but does not rhyme.....

BobK

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There `was an old `man from St `Bees
Who was `stung on the arm by a `wasp.
When they `asked 'Does it `hurt?'
He re`plied 'No it `doesn't -
It's a `good job it `wasn't a `hornet.

At first this 'Limerick' has metre: dee dah de dee dah de dee dah. But it has no rhyme, and towards the end the metre goes wrong as well. The joke plays on the audience's knowledge of the Limerick format - particularly the expectation of the rhyme scheme a-a-b-b-a.

b

PS :oops:

Last edited:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia

konungursvia

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
What's the difference between meter and rhyme in poetry? They seem to have similar translations, but I don't know exact difference. Rhyme seems to be the last word repeated in each line, but meter seems to be in any position, I guess. I mean, meter is broader than rhyme, but I'm not sure.

ex)Before the 20th century, poets were counted on to create poetry that rhymed and followed a metered pattern. However, there were those who disregarded the traditional structure used by many and chose instead to write in free or blank verse. Free verse lacks any noticeable pattern, while blank verse maintains meter but does not rhyme.....

Meter is simply the number of syllables in each line or verse, and, additionally, the rhythm of the syllables, some being longer, others shorter. Also, instead of longer and shorter, you can have some which are louder or softer. All together, these make up meter.

Status
Not open for further replies.