Student or Learner
Native Language
Czech
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
United States
Dear all,

I am not a native speaker and, currently, I am a visiting researcher in Texas, USA. This is to ask you guys for your kind help or explanation.

I have had two very embarrassing situations in a coffee shop and a restaurant. Once I was about to pay or discuss something with the barista I did not hear something correctly. So I sad "Sorry?". At that moment, both of the ladies were very rude and they said something like "I am not a man! I am a lady!". Did I say something wrong? Or it was just a misunderstanding and they most probably heard "Sir"?

I am quite sure with my pronunciation but it was so embarrassing for both of us! What do you mean? Thank you so much!

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say "Pardon me?" or "Can you repeat that?" next time, to avoid any confusion.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Did I say something wrong?
Not at all, and given your level of English, I doubt very much that you'd mispronounced "sorry".
Or it was just a misunderstanding and they most probably heard "Sir"?
Even if you had, they had no right to be rude. If I was in that situation, I would have complained to the management.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
It's a pretty baffling story. The only explanation that springs to mind is that they somehow heard "Sorry" as "Sir", although you have apparently ruled out that possibility.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Dear all, Unnecessary. Just go straight in with your question.

I am not a native speaker and no comma here currently no comma here I am a visiting researcher in Texas, USA. This is I'd like to ask you guys for your kind help or an explanation.

I have had two very embarrassing situations, one in a coffee shop and the other in a restaurant. Once In the coffee shop, I was about to pay or discuss something (Which one was it - you were about to pay or you were about to discuss something?) with the barista. I did not hear something the barista said correctly no full stop here so I said "Sorry?" no full stop here At that moment, both of The two ladies (What two ladies? You said you were talking to one person - a barista) were very rude and they said something like "I am not a man! I am a lady!". (Did they really both say it?) Did I say something wrong no question mark here or was it was just a misunderstanding and they most probably heard "Sir"?

I am quite sure confident with my pronunciation but it was so embarrassing for both of us! (Who does "both of us" refer to? You said the incident involved you and two ladies.)

What do you mean? I don't understand this question. Who is it directed to?

Thank you so much! Unnecessary. Thank us after we help you, by clicking on the "Thank" icon.

Please note my corrections and comments/questions above.

The only reasonable explanation is that they misheard you and thought you said "Sir?" but it's still a fairly unlikely scenario. I wouldn't worry about it. Use SoothingDave's suggestions (post #2) and it won't happen again.

Status
Not open for further replies.