Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Javanese
Home Country
Indonesia
Current Location
Indonesia
I don't understand the meaning of the use of "of" when related to an organisation. For example: Mo Salah of Liverpool made a loose pass, alowing Mbappe to link with Messi scoring amd equalising goal. Does "of" actually mean "from?" Mo Salah from Liverpool...

Can I substitute "of" to "from?" Mo Salah from Liverpool...

That doesn't sound natural in this context, though it could work in others. Stick to "of" here. "Of" here means "belonging to [Liverpool (club)]".

Does "of" actually mean "from?" Mo Salah from Liverpool...
Mo Salah is from Egypt. He plays football for Liverpool. I wouldn't use from in your context.

I think what the thread-starter meant to say is that 'of' here means 'from'. It would be wrong to use 'from'. But that's the meaning of 'of' here. That's what I was trying to say in my previous post, which for some reason got deleted. Consider the following sentence: "The 15-year-old Reading ace, who can also play as a winger, was the sole Reading representative in England's starting lineup for the game, featuring alongside players from Chelsea, Leeds United, Manchester City and West Ham United, among others" (by Robert Warlow; https://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/...eading-luca-fletcher-england-impress-25820174). See how 'from' is used in front of the name of a club? In our case, it's the meaning that mattered.

Last edited:
Of does not mean from.
Is the function of of here similar to the examples below?

1) Knight of Brunswick
2) John Snow of Winterfell
3) Bill Gates of Microsoft

Yes.

As I said in post #7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back