Modal verbs: What is difference among CERTAINTY, PROBABILITY, DEDUCTION, POSSIBILITY?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tae-Bbong-E

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
I am confused by the definitions such as CERTAINTY, PROBABILITY, DEDUCTION, POSSIBILITY.
Could you help me to understand?

Also "would" can be used to express CERTAINTY, PROBABILITY, DEDUCTION, POSSIBILITY.?
Because grammar books don't mention "would" in section of deduction. Generally they say "must, can/can't, should, ought to..." However I've seen the following link; https://medium.com/@gmbley/modal-verbs-levels-of-certainty-ba14047dd134

Last edited:

Tdol

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Staff member
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
Japan
I'm sure
I'm positive
I guess
I reckon

Where do you stand on these?

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I am confused by the definitions such as CERTAINTY, PROBABILITY, DEDUCTION, POSSIBILITY.

Yes, these notions are very difficult to understand.

Could you help me to understand?

Yes, but you will have to give us some sentences to look at. Please make sure you don't make them up yourself, and that you give us no more than two sentences per thread.

Tae-Bbong-E

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Korean
Home Country
South Korea
Current Location
South Korea
Yes, these notions are very difficult to understand.

Yes, but you will have to give us some sentences to look at. Please make sure you don't make them up yourself, and that you give us no more than two sentences per thread.

Okay, since I want to get a proper answer from you, I think I need to open a new question with example sentences from grammar books or some other education websites.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Before we go further, look the words up. There's a possibility that a dictionary will help.

After you've looked them up, tell us your deductions.

Status
Not open for further replies.