Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Is it wrong to use "the" before "most cheerful" and when saying how you feel isn't "feel" optional in "makes me feel depressed/happy"?

"Rain makes me feel depressed. Sunny weather doesn't often come here in winter. I love sunny days. In this weather I am most cheerful."

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is it wrong to use "the" before "most cheerful" and, when saying how you feel, isn't "feel" optional in "makes me feel depressed/happy"?

"Rain makes me feel depressed. Sunny weather doesn't often come here in winter. I love sunny days. In this weather, I am most cheerful."
It's more natural to omit "feel" and just say that it makes you depressed.
It would be wrong to say "the most cheerful" at the end. You could say "my most cheerful".

"Sunny weather doesn't often come here" isn't natural. We don't refer to weather as "coming" (unless you're talking about the arrival of a storm or similar). Say "It's not often sunny here in winter".

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It would be wrong to say "the most cheerful" at the end. You could say "my most cheerful".

"Sunny weather doesn't often come here" isn't natural. We don't refer to weather as "coming" (unless you're talking about the arrival of a storm or similar). Say "It's not often sunny here in winter".
Is this part natural "I love sunny days. In this weather I am most cheerful"?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Is this part natural "I love sunny days. In this weather, I am most cheerful"?

The first sentence is OK. The second isn't how I would say it but it's not grammatically incorrect. I'd say "I love sunny days - they make me really happy" or "I'm at my happiest when it's sunny".

Note my addition of a comma after "weather". I missed that in my first response (though I've added it now).

Reactions: 5jj

Yankee

Banned
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Is it wrong to use "the" before "most cheerful" ? (No.)and when saying how you feel isn't "feel" optional in "makes me feel depressed/happy"? (Yes, but I would tend to use it.)

"Rain makes me feel depressed. Sunny weather doesn't occur often come here in winter. I love sunny days. In this weather I am most cheerful."
My shot.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia

Sorry, I didn't understand this part "you could say my most cheerful". Could you please explain once again?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
In this weather, I am at my most cheerful.

This construction is fairly common.

Unemployment is at its highest for ten years.
She suffers with depression. Yesterday, she was at her lowest.
At its worst, the hail was the size of golf balls!

Status
Not open for further replies.