Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Could you please tell me the correct way of saying this? I have been confused for a long time.

"Motorcycle runs as fast as much we give throttle".

Is this the correct way? I mean we all know that when we start a motorcycle we put it in gear and on the right side of the handle we have accelerator that we need to rotate to increase the speed as we shift up the gear. So, do we throttle it?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Could you please tell me the correct way of saying this? I have been confused for a long time.

"A motorcycle runs as fast as much we give throttle". No. See below.

Is this the correct? way? I mean we all know that When we start a motorcycle, we put it in gear; and on the right side of the handlebar we have the accelerator, that which we need to rotate to increase the speed as we shift up through the gears. So, do we "throttle it"?
@tufguy How long have you been using this site? How many times have we told you (and others) that a single-word title isn't sufficient? I've changed your thread title from just "throttle" to the full sentence you're asking us about.

Note my corrections above. Your sentence needs to start with either "A motorcycle runs" or "Motorcycles run" to express a habitual action.

Your sentence certainly isn't correct but I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say. Do you mean that the speed of a motorcycle depends on how much throttle we use? Using "throttle" as a verb in this context is wrong. We use it to mean "strangle". In your context, you need to use "throttle" as a noun.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
@tufguy How long have you been using this site? How many times have we told you (and others) that a single-word title isn't sufficient? I've changed your thread title from just "throttle" to the full sentence you're asking us about.

Note my corrections above. Your sentence needs to start with either "A motorcycle runs" or "Motorcycles run" to express a habitual action.

Your sentence certainly isn't correct but I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to say. Do you mean that the speed of a motorcycle depends on how much throttle we use? Using "throttle" as a verb in this context is wrong. We use it to mean "strangle". In your context, you need to use "throttle" as a noun.
Could you please write a sentence so I can understand better?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do you mean that the speed of a motorcycle depends on how much throttle we use?
Could you please write a sentence so I can understand better?
Are you really telling me that you can't write a new sentence yourself based on what I wrote in post #2? (I have quoted it above to help you even more.)

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Are you really telling me that you can't write a new sentence yourself based on what I wrote in post #2? (I have quoted it above to help you even more.)
1) Motorcycle runs as fast as much throttle we use.

2) Motorcycle runs as fast as much we rotate the accelerator.

stanislaw.masny

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Polish
Home Country
Poland
Current Location
Poland
Not a teacher.

I would write that the motorcycle engine rotates faster or with more power when the throttle is open more. The speed depends on the gear selected and the terrain conditions.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

The speed of the motorcycle depends on how much throttle you give it.

I don't know if "give throttle" is correct. I am not a motorcyclist.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Could you please check my sentences? Do we say "motorcycle runs as fast as much we use throttle"? Is it correct? "Give throttle" is incorrect, Am I correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

The speed of a motorcycle depends on how much throttle you give it.

Or:

The more throttle you give it the faster it goes

Last edited: