Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Do we say the following?

1) I was riding motorcycle on fifth gear.

2) Motorcycle was on fifth gear.

3) I was on fifth gear while riding.

Please check my sentences.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Do we say the following?

Please check my sentences.

1) I was riding my motorcycle on in fifth gear.
2) My motorcycle was on in fifth gear.
3) I was on in fifth gear while riding.
Note my changes above. We say that we are "in" a particular gear on a bike, motorbike, car etc. I've made them all grammatical but I don't find any of them particularly natural. Why will you need to say any of them?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
What's fifth gear for?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Note my changes above. We say that we are "in" a particular gear on a bike, motorbike, car etc. I've made them all grammatical but I don't find any of them particularly natural. Why will you need to say any of them?
To talk about day to day incidents. For example:

One of my colleagues met with an accident while riding his motorcycle. It was in fourth gear(he was going quiet fast) when a car hit him from behind and he broke his hand.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
To talk about day to day incidents. For example:

One of my colleagues met with an accident while riding his motorcycle. It was in fourth gear(he was going quite fast) when a car hit him from behind and he broke his hand.
Is he better now?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I want to talk about day-to-day incidents. For example:

One of my colleagues met with an accident while riding his motorcycle. It He was in fourth gear space required here (he was going quiet quite fast) when a car hit him from behind and he broke his hand.
See above. It's more natural to say "had an accident" or "was in an accident", but "met with an accident" isn't wrong.

Having an accident on your motorbike isn't, hopefully, a "day-to-day incident"!

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
See above. It's more natural to say "had an accident" or "was in an accident", but "met with an accident" isn't wrong.

Having an accident on your motorbike isn't, hopefully, a "day-to-day incident"!
There was a colleague of mine in 2013. He used to ride pretty fast. He had a lot of accidents and it was a kind of a day to day activity for him. Once I saw a photo of him in which he looked a bit different and when I asked him he told me once he was on a high way with one of his friends riding the pillion and their speed was between 150-200 kms when they hit a car. He bearly escaped death but his skull got broken. His nose was shattered like a piece of glass. Doctors reconstructed his nose and this is the reason he looked a bit different afterwards. He used to get in a lot of accidents but survived each and every one of them and never stopped riding fast.

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
That's understandable but it's more natural to say "He had to have surgery on his hand".
What is the way to say it in indirect speech?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
There was a colleague of mine I worked with someone in 2013 no full stop here He who used to ride pretty fast. He had a lot of accidents and it was a kind of a day-to-day activity occurrence for him. Once I once saw a photo of him in which he looked a bit different; and when I asked him why, he told me once he was he had been riding on a highway, with one of his friends riding the pillion, and their speed was travelling at between 150-200 kms, when they hit a car. He bearly barely escaped death but his skull got broken fractured. His nose was shattered like a piece of glass. Doctors reconstructed his nose and this is the reason that's why he looked a bit different afterwards. He used to get in a lot of accidents but survived each and every one of them and never stopped riding fast.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
What is the way to say it in indirect speech?
What are you talking about? There's nothing in direct/indirect speech. Are you asking how to say it in the passive voice?

tufguy

VIP Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Hindi
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
What are you talking about? There's nothing in direct/indirect speech. Are you asking how to say it in the passive voice?
Yes, sorry passive voice.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@tufguy "The motorcycle was being ridden by me" would seem kind of weird.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
A note about dialect and motor vehicle accidents: in Indian English, people are never "in an accident" and never "have an accident", They always "meet with" an accident.

Status
Not open for further replies.