Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Rachel, you need to look up faculty. Unfortunately, you are still getting facility and faculty mixed up.

www.dictionary.com
I'm not sure either word is the one that's really needed. I'd say "the linguistics department". I left "facility" because it's close enough to "department". I thought Rachel was simply trying to indicate that the RAU provided the facility for students to learn languages.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Your suggestion works better, but at least a facility is a place. (You can't study at a faculty. (Maybe you can at a factory, but it's not recommended.))

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
Tarheel didn't mention RAU, so "at a linguistic facility" is correct. It shows that it is just one of many linguistic facilities that exist. My sentence, however, included RAU, so "at" goes with RAU, and then "in the linguistic facility" shows that it's that one specific linguistics facility inside RAU.
I understand now. Can I use both "linguistics" and "linguistic" interchangeably in your sentence and in Tarheel's?

And should change my "in conservatory" into "at the conservatory" or is "in" also a correct option?

And does "practical days/lessons" still sound unnatural?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I would use "linguistics department/facility" because, if you change the order, it's "the department of linguistics", not "the department of linguistic".

"In conservatory" doesn't work at all. I can't say that it would be completely incorrect to say "in the conservatory" but that denotes location rather than attendance.

For me, "practical days/lessons" doesn't really explain what you're trying to say. I don't associate the word "practical" with language learning. If you told me that someone was learning woodwork, for example, and said they had practical lessons, I would understand that during those lessons they actually worked on pieces of wood, rather than sitting in a chair learning passively from a teacher.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I would use "linguistics department/facility" because, if you change the order, it's "the department of linguistics", not "the department of linguistic".

"In conservatory" doesn't work at all. I can't say that it would be completely incorrect to say "in the conservatory" but that denotes location rather than attendance.

For me, "practical days/lessons" doesn't really explain what you're trying to say. I don't associate the word "practical" with language learning. If you told me that someone was learning woodwork, for example, and said they had practical lessons, I would understand that during those lessons they actually worked on pieces of wood, rather than sitting in a chair learning passively from a teacher.
If I mention the conservatory for the first time, should I still use "the"?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I'm not sure either word is the one that's really needed. I'd say "the linguistics department". I left "facility" because it's close enough to "department". I thought Rachel was simply trying to indicate that the RAU provided the facility for students to learn languages.
I need the word "faculty."

"Tarheel didn't mention RAU, so "at a linguistic facility/*faculty*" is correct. It shows that it is just one of many linguistic facilities/*faculties* that exist. My sentence, however, included RAU, so "at" goes with RAU, and then "in the linguistic facility/*faculty*" shows that it's that one specific linguistics facility/*faculty* inside RAU."

In your explanation above can I use "faculty" and does your explanation apply to "faculty" in the same way as "facility"? I added "faculty" in your answer to show you.

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
No. I don't know if this is different in other variants, but "faculty" refers specifically to "The teachers and instructors of a school or college, or of one of its divisions, especially those considered permanent, full-time employees." (Source: Wordnik)

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I suppose the linguistics faculty could be those on the faculty who teach linguistics.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No. I don't know if this is different in other variants, but "faculty" refers specifically to "The teachers and instructors of a school or college, or of one of its divisions, especially those considered permanent, full-time employees." (Source: Wordnik)

So if I don't mention RAU, "at a linguistics *faculty*" is correct. It shows that it is just one of many linguistics *faculties* that exist. Your sentence, included RAU, so "at" goes with RAU, and then "in the linguistics *faculty*" shows that it's that one specific linguistics *faculty* inside RAU." Right?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I suppose the linguistics faculty could be those on the faculty who teach linguistics.
Yes, that's exactly what I meant. In post #29 I added it to make sure my understanding is correct.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
So if I don't mention RAU, "at a linguistics *faculty*" is correct. It shows that it is just one of many linguistics *faculties* that exist. Your sentence, included RAU, so "at" goes with RAU, and then "in the linguistics *faculty*" shows that it's that one specific linguistics *faculty* inside RAU." Right?
A faculty is not a place. It's a group of people.

www.dictionary.com

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
A faculty is not a place. It's a group of people.

www.dictionary.com
Do you mean that "faculty" cannot be used here in this part below?

"So if I don't mention RAU, "at a linguistics *faculty*" is correct. It shows that it is just one of many linguistics *faculties* that exist. Your sentence, included RAU, so "at" goes with RAU, and then "in the linguistics *faculty*" shows that it's that one specific linguistics *faculty* inside RAU." Right?"

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
It depends. It doesn't necessarily mean that, but if you don't indicate otherwise it's a reasonable assumption. For example, you could say: "He tried and tried and tried and finally succeeded."

However, most of the time it wouldn't make sense to say somebody had tried to do something when in fact he had done it. For example, I wouldn't say I tried to study unless I was going to follow that up by explaining why I was unable to.

www.dictionary.com

A native speaker mentions the use I need in post 6 https://forum.wordreference.com/thr...-university-on-at-the-faculty-of-law.1388420/

So faculty in AmE refers only to people, but in BrE to people, building , ideas, etc. Right?

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
If I mention the conservatory for the first time, should I still use "the"?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Do you mean that "faculty" cannot be used here in this part below?

"So if I don't mention RAU, "at a linguistics *faculty*" is correct. It shows that it is just one of many linguistics *faculties* that exist. Your sentence, included RAU, so "at" goes with RAU, and then "in the linguistics *faculty*" shows that it's that one specific linguistics *faculty* inside RAU." Right?"
I can't tell you what to do. I can only give you my opinion. If you disagree, fine. I stated my opinion once. I don't see any need to keep saying the same thing over and over.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
So if I don't mention RAU, "at a linguistics *faculty*" is correct.

No. If you use "faculty" there, you're effectively writing "at a teachers and professors". Do you really think that's correct?

I suggest you stop trying to force "faculty" into your piece anywhere at all. It just doesn't work.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
I can't tell you what to do. I can only give you my opinion. If you disagree, fine. I stated my opinion once. I don't see any need to keep saying the same thing over and over.
How can I disagree with you? You are a native speaker. I am trying to understand the difference.

Rachel Adams

Key Member
Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Russian
Home Country
Georgia
Current Location
Georgia
No. If you use "faculty" there, you're effectively writing "at a teachers and professors". Do you really think that's correct?

I suggest you stop trying to force "faculty" into your piece anywhere at all. It just doesn't work.
OK. Could you please answer my question in post 36?

Status
Not open for further replies.