Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Here are two examples:

1) If she hasn't skidded off the last bend she must have won the race.
2) If she hasn't skidded off the last bend she would have to have won the race.

How do they differ in their meanings?

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The first is wrong.

The second is possible but it's a bit of an odd thing to say. Are you sure you mean that? Why don't you just say '... she would have won the race'?

tedmc

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Malaysia
Current Location
Malaysia
The third conditional is in the form "if + past perfect + would have (perfect conditional)", for an impossible condition in the past with a probable result in the past.

Following the above, the sentence would be as follows:
If she hadn't skidded off the last bend, she would have won the race.

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
The first is wrong.
Thank you.
Please explain to me why this sentence is wrong. This sentence is not meant to be a third conditional one, actually. We can use must have + ed form and can't have + ed form to talk about deductions and conclusions - and that's the case in this sentence in my opinion.
1a) If she hasn't skidded off the last bend she must have won the race.
1b) If she has skidded off the last bend she can't have won the race.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Well, it's wrong because it doesn't make sense. Can you explain what you want the sentence to mean? What's the logic you're following?

Last edited:

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
If you're going to start with "If she hasn't skidded off the last bend", your sentence can be said only before the race is over. It would need to be followed by something like "she's guaranteed to win" or "surely she'll win".

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Here are two examples:

2) If she hasn't skidded off the last bend she would have to have won the race.

Ah! emsr2d2's post #7 has just made me realise that I'd misread your sentences when I wrote post #2. I thought you'd written hadn't in both cases.

Okay, so neither one makes any sense. Tell us what you're trying to say.

shootingstar

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
German
Home Country
Germany
Current Location
Germany
Let me tell you the following situation or event:
There are two persons talking about the race and they know there is a difficult and dangerous bend just before the finish. They have watched the MTB race but now the race is over. They are about 500 yards before the finishing line but they can't see it. They don't know who has just won and they are puzzling who it could be. Mind you, the race is over, some competitors can be seen cycling back the route to relax . . .

. . . and A says: "I think Mona Mitterwallner has won the race."
. . . and B says: "If she hasn't skidded off the last bend she must have won the race."

Maybe the if-clause has to be "If she didn't skid off the last bend she must have won the race" , but I think we can use the present perfect simple for a finished event in the very recent past. And this going round a bend is a finished event in the very recent past in this situation - that's why I would like to use the present perfect simple in the If-clause. And I use the perfect modal form in the main clause (result) because they are talking about the past - the race is definitely over!

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Let me tell you the following situation or event:
There are two persons talking about the race and they know there is a difficult and dangerous bend just before the finish. They have watched the MTB race but now the race is over. They are about 500 yards before the finishing line but they can't see it. They don't know who has just won and they are puzzling who it could be. Mind you, the race is over, some competitors can be seen cycling back the route to relax . . .

. . . and A says: "I think Mona Mitterwallner has won the race."
. . . and B says: "If she hasn't skidded off the last bend she must have won the race."

Thank you! Why didn't you tell us this in the first place? Yes, that makes sense now.