My 750 words a day language challenge 13.10.2017: My experiences of studying Russian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Member Type
Native Language
Finnish
Home Country
Finland
Current Location
Finland
Here is my text of today's language challenge specified of studying Russian.
Give your feedback and tips for improve my writing skills and spell-check. Thank you.

My experiences of studying Russian.

First of all, I must tell, I already speaking a phonetic language as native, so that will give me a little an advantage already of speaking Russian. For English (which is non-phonetic language) speaker Russian will seem a very hard on a first sight. But, English speakers get the an advantage of that because Russian and English is from the same language family. They have many similar words. For example, the English word "lift" is лифт (with the same pronouncing that in English "lift") in Russian.
Speaking Russian is not hard at all. But alphabets gives a little bit rough time sometimes. It is hard to sometimes try to memorize which "s" letter need to use because there is in Russian with similar pronouncing letters like с, ж, ш, щ and ч.

But as in every language learning challenge, the beginning is the hardest part of the journey. It is not motivating when you are incapable to see your results because there is not any. But if you are patient and forget your goals (and focusing only do work that you need to do for your goal) and study a little bit how to study languages, you will make it.

I've realized that most effective way to learn a language is to memorize basic phrases. But it is not that simple how to get memorized them. Repetition after repetition doesn't work. Or I mean yes, it works, but you don't want to spend months for trying to learn some basic sentences for getting they memorized as good you can use them in your conversations. In the beginning, when I started to study Russian I downloaded audio to my phone of Russian phrases translated into English. I listened that audio for weeks. And yes, I learned few Russian phrases, but I had no idea what that sentence means. Or opposite, I had been listening so many phrases at the same time I didn't remember does "как тебя зовут" meaning "how are you" or "where are you from?". For real that means "what is your name?".
That is the problem with passive studying. It doesn't work if you are listening to some audio course while you are at gym, jogging etc. without focusing it. You need to interact with it. I have made a note about that most effective way to learn anything is proportional of how much you put effort into it. For example. I talked with my Iranian friend. I asked her what is "how are you?" in Persian ( the language spoken in Iran). And she told it is "khobi cheturi". After that, I asked her to text me that in Persian alphabets and she did that. Then I sent her voice message back me saying that Persian phrase. There was a lot of effort for learning that saying I can always remember that for rest of my life. Every time when I heard "khobi cheturi" in a few milliseconds I see in my mind about that Whatsapp conversation of learning that phrase. In short, every phrase and word should include some kind of story which you can recall into your mind immediately when you need to remember any of those words or phrases.

Using stories is a method of memory masters. Let's take a little practice.
Try to remember these words in this order apple, tree, bird, school, and bus.
And now, cover those words and don't peek what they are. Now trying to say your name backward. And now, try to say those words before I told as the same order. Impossible? Yeah, that's true.
Let's try a new approach.
Those words were apple, tree, bird, bus, and school. Now we are making some kind of story about those words.
"There was an APPLETREE where BIRD sitting down on its branch. Soon SCHOOLBUS crashed into it." Say that story a few times and emphasize LOUDLY of those keywords. And then try to say your name backward again. And how it's going on? Is it easier now to remember those words? I guess so.
In this method, World Record memory master (I can't recall of his name, some Chinese guy) recall approximation of pi with almost 17 000 digits. An effective method, right?

One of the best methods to improve focusing is playing a chess. There is a lot of research how playing chess helps to improve fluid intelligence and language skills ability because it trains of the same part of the brain which you need to learn languages.

Why will I recommend everyone to study Russian? Because Russian is one of the most difficult languages. If you can learn it, you can learn easier and faster about any other languages as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
First paragraph. Say:

First of all, I am already speaking a phonetic language as a native speaker, so that gives me somewhat of an advantage in learning Russian.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Second sentence. Say:

For speakers of English (which is a non-phonetic language), speaking Russian will seem very hard at first.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Third sentence. Say:

But English speakers have an advantage in that English and Russian are from the same language family.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

They have many similar words. For example, the English word "lift" is pronounced the same in English and Russian.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Try:

The Russian alphabet can give you trouble.

And:

Several Russian letters are pronounced similarly.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Second paragraph. Say:

But every language has learning challenges. The beginning of the journey is the hardest part.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Second paragraph. Try:

It's hard to stay motivated when you don't see yourself as making progress.

For the rest, perhaps:

If you are patient and don't give up, you can succeed.

Last edited:

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Third paragraph, first sentence. Say:

The best way to learn a new language is to memorize basic phrases, but it's not always that easy.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Perhaps:

Repetiton works, but there can be problems. For example, you can get the phraeses mixed up.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Say:

Yes, I learned a few Russian phrases, but I didn't know what they meant.

You need to simplify your sentences.

Status
Not open for further replies.