Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Bosnian
Home Country
Bosnia Herzegovina
Current Location
Sweden
I have tried to use the word "turn" in my sentences. Would you please correct the mistakes?

1. At the turn of the 21th century, Western governments have finally taken the obesity epidemic among the youth seriously, and have taken concrete measures to curb it.
2. Michael hated himself for turning into a self-serving person who only thought of himself and his material gains.
3. Clive heard someone calling his name in the street, and when he turned around, he saw Eve, an old flame, walking with three children.
4. The Smith's were looking forward to an exciting holiday, which unfortunately turned into a nightmare when they found out that the hotel they had booked was non-existent.
5. Anna turned down every marriage proposal because she valued her freedom more than anything else.
6. After months of hiding, the robber turned himself in to the police.
7. Bob, who pretended to be a rich investor, in reality turned out to be a crook who swindled naive people out of their money.
8. Anna, a medicine student, went for the first time to see an operation being performed, and it made her stomach turn over.
9. After years of struggling with alcohol problems, John managed to turn into a teetotaller.
10. As he drove into the main street, Michael forgot to look to the right and did not see a cyclist on the pedestrian crossing. He slammed on the brakes at the last moment and felt sweat breaking out on his forehead.

I have tried to use the word "turn" in my sentences. Would you please correct the mistakes?

1. At the turn of the 21th century, Western governments have finally taken the obesity epidemic among the youth seriously, and have taken concrete measures to curb it. :tick:

2. Michael hated himself for turning into a self-serving person who only thought of himself and his material gains. :tick: I'd probably say "selfish" rather than "self-serving" but yours isn't wrong.

3. Clive heard someone calling his name in the street. [STRIKE]and[/STRIKE] When he turned around, he saw Eve, an old flame, walking with three children. It's a long sentence with a lot of commas so I'd split it into two.

4. The [STRIKE]Smith's[/STRIKE] Smiths (no apostrophe in a plural) were looking forward to an exciting holiday, which unfortunately turned into a nightmare when they found out that the hotel they had booked was non-existent.

5. Anna turned down every marriage proposal because she valued her freedom more than anything else. :tick: You could also use "valued her freedom above all/everything else".

6. After months of hiding, the robber turned himself in to the police. :tick: I'd probably use "in hiding".

7. Bob, who pretended to be a rich investor, [STRIKE]in reality[/STRIKE] turned out to be a crook who swindled naive people out of their money.

8. Anna, a medicine student, went for the first time to see an operation being performed, and it made her stomach turn over. :tick: I would probably use "made her stomach churn".

9. After years of struggling with alcohol problems, John managed to turn into a teetotaller. :cross: That makes it sound as if he made a sudden, almost instantaneous change. I'd say "... John managed to become teetotal" or "... John is now teetotal".

10. As he drove into the main street, Michael forgot to look to the right and did not see a cyclist on the pedestrian crossing. He slammed on the brakes at the last moment and felt sweat breaking out on his forehead. :tick: However, you didn't use the word "turn" anywhere in these sentences!

See above.

emsr2d2,

Regarding sentence number 10, I wanted to write "...Michael forgot to turn to the right and did not see a cyclist..." but I automatically wrote "look to," without thinking about that I should use "turn."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back