My ice cooler doesn't slide up the back of the tray when I reaching for a beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I noticed a few things. The OP in the linked site has a number of grammar and spelling errors in just the post in question, but other forum posts are riddled with errors such as random capitalization and tense errors. I suspect he might be a fluent non-native English speaker.

I needed an excuse to procrastinate*, so I browsed through his other threads on that forum, hoping to confirm a nationality and maybe first language influence. He lives on Ascension Island, but with no permanent residents or native population, there's not much to base a guess on. If you want to see pics of his truck and some family, search the forums.

Also, this truck he's talking about was shipped to the island from the UK.

As for reaching for the beers - it's a hardtop covered bed (notice the hinges and pneumatic holder) which opens from the back, so you'd have to be standing at the tailgate to open it and reach for the cooler.

As for the 'tray' reference - it looks like he has installed a slide-in bed liner, which may be what he's calling a 'tray'. They basically are a form-fitting tray.

*Not a professional stalker
Hm. I see the problem(s).

He seems to have a Tekna (a Nissan brand). I've Googled some pictures. It's hard to tell, but his model doesn't seem to have slide-open back windows (which are mandatory with some crowds here). To make matters worse, it looks like a four-door.

So I've just gone back to baffled.

My impression from scanning his thread is that he's a native speaker who just never learned some of the basics. We should send him an invitation to UsingEnglish!

He reminds me of Mike, a neighbor who has a couple of big pickups but could never be relied on to pass a spelling test — or even spell spelling test.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
I'm sure he's a native-speaker (albeit one with less-than-excellent competence in English)—his (nick)name's Goughie. I'm equally sure that the grammatical mistake was not due to lack of competence but rather due to careless writing.

As for the ice cooler/sliding tray setup conundrum, this remains a mystery to me. It's comforting to see other members equally take such fascination with it!

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ah, the internet -- where anything goes.
:)

Charlie Bernstein

VIP Member
Member Type
Other
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Would he use speeling? I believe that is a form acceptable on the internet.
I think he'd just show up for the test on the wrong day.

Status
Not open for further replies.