my own use of some new expressions: Is it correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nooryusuf

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
HI everyone
Thanks billion times for your help in this forum

Here s my own sentences trying to use some new vocabulary that I ve learnt lately, I want you please to correct them for me, do they sound natural?:

I hope that I can pass my exam with ease.
We tend to live a sedentary lifestyle in our modern workday.
practicing sports daily comes at the expence of having a healthy body.
I attribute my longevity to living a healthy lifestyle.
I tend to stay in the library for long stretches of time.
Living a sedentary way of life increases the odds of being caught by numerous diseases.
He faced an untimely death at the age of 25 because he was addicted to drugs.
She has to engage in some leisurely pursuits inorder to forget about her problems.
Those who do not exercise reguralarly are shorthening their lifespan.
Infant mortality was at its high levels in the past.
it is bad for your health to remain inactive.
Prolonged use of computer games is known to have negative effects on brain.

I have one question: is the expression: untimely death the same as premature death?

I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks a lot in advance.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
[STRIKE]HI[/STRIKE] Hi everyone.
[STRIKE]Thanks billion times for your help in this forum[/STRIKE] Unnecessary

Here [STRIKE]s[/STRIKE] are my own sentences trying to use some new vocabulary that I've learnt lately. [STRIKE]I want you[/STRIKE] Please [STRIKE]to[/STRIKE] correct them for me. Do they sound natural?:

I hope that I can pass my exam with ease. :tick:
We tend to live a sedentary lifestyle in our modern workday. :cross: No, this doesn't work. We don't have a lifestyle during our workday. A lifestyle covers everything. Maybe something like "Modern working practices are very sedentary".
Practicing sports daily comes at the expense of having a healthy body. :tick: (Note the correct spelling of "expense".)
I attribute my longevity to living a healthy lifestyle. :tick:
I tend to stay in the library for long stretches of time. :tick:
Living a sedentary way of life increases the odds of [STRIKE]being caught by[/STRIKE] catching numerous diseases. :tick: but note that we "catch" diseases. We are not "caught by" them.
He faced an untimely death at the age of 25 because he was addicted to drugs. :tick: although I'm not sure if you are saying he risked dying at 25 or if he actually died at 25.
She has to engage in some leisurely pursuits in order to forget about her problems. :tick: although it's a little formal.
Those who do not exercise [STRIKE]reguralarly[/STRIKE] regularly are [STRIKE]shorthening[/STRIKE] shortening their lifespan. :tick: but note my spelling corrections.
Infant mortality was at its high levels in the past. The use of "mortality" is fine but you might mean "at its highest level".
It is bad for your health to remain inactive. :tick:
Prolonged use of computer games is known to have negative effects on brain. :tick:

I have one question: Is the expression "untimely death" the same as "premature death"? Yes, there is little difference.

[STRIKE]I would really appreciate your help.
Thanks a lot in advance. [/STRIKE]
Unnecessary.

See above.

nooryusuf

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Arabic
Home Country
Algeria
Current Location
Algeria
Thanks a lot emsr2d2, your detailed correction is really helpful.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
You're welcome. Note that I missed one error. In your final sentence, you should have said "... is known to have negative effects on the brain". Please note that there is no need to write a new post to say "Thank you". Simply click on the "Thank" button in the bottom left-hand corner of any post you find helpful. It saves time for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.