My real birthday is...my official birthday is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
In my country, when a kid is born after September, usually, the parents get the birth certificate for September so that the kid can start going to school sooner. Even if a child is 6 years and 11 months, he/she can't start going to school.

Some people have a real birthday and an official (in the birth certificate) date of birth.

Does this happen in other countries? If so, how is it expressed and explained in English?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
It certainly doesn't happen in the UK so we don't ever need to explain it. Our date of birth is our date of birth. Someone born 11 months and 28 days after someone else (depending on the dates of birth) could be in the same year at school as that person who is almost a year older than them.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
It certainly doesn't happen in the UK so we don't ever need to explain it. Our date of birth is our date of birth. Someone born 11 months and 28 days after someone else (depending on the dates of birth) could be in the same year at school as that person who is almost a year older than them.
How can it be explained by someone who was born in a country where this does happen?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
How can it be explained by someone who was born in a country where this does happen?
You'll need to find someone who was born in a country where this happens.

alpacinou

Key Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Persian
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
You'll need to find someone who was born in a country where this happens.
Does this work?

I was born on November 6th but my parents got my birth certificate for August 31st because in my country some parents do that to send their child to school sooner. You have to be whole seven years to be allowed to attend the first grade.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
In Canada, my home and native land, most babies are born in hospitals. Hospital staff see to it that the birth is registered as required by law. In India, where I've also lived, many if not most babies are born at home. Many parents lie about the date when registering the birth to make the child seem younger than it actually is. They think it will be economically advantageous in a country where mandatory retirement at a certain age is the norm.

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"The whole seven years old" is unnatural. Use "at least seven years old".

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Many parents lie about the date when registering the birth to make the child seem younger than it actually is.
Alpacinou tells us that in Iran they try to make the child seem older.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I was born on November 6th but my parents got arranged for my birth certificate for to show/say August 31st. because in my country some parents do This was so that to they could send their child me to school sooner. You have to be whole seven years old to be allowed to attend enter the first grade.

Status
Not open for further replies.