Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
The "Updated Edition in Today's Language," edited by James Reimann, has appeared in a variety of formats since 1992. It relies on the New King James Version of the Bible, and has become a series of Christian devotional journals, calendars, and children's books. The title is taken from one of Chambers' sermons, where he says "Shut out every consideration and keep yourself before God for this one thing only - My Utmost for His Highest". (my bold, quoted from Wikipedia)
In the above passage, does the expression "His Highest" refer to God?

probus

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Canada
Current Location
Canada
"My Utmost for His Highest" means nothing to this native speaker. Considering the context, however, it's reasonable to speculate that "His Highest" must refer to God.

Phaedrus

Banned
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The phrase appears to have a mystical meaning: Surrender your will to Christ's, that Christ's highest type of life may become manifested in you.

From one of Chambers's sermons:

"Keep your life so constant in its contact with God that His surprising power may break out on the right hand and on the left. Always be in a state of expectancy, and see that you leave room for God to come in as He likes" (source).

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Chambers quotes the Bible:

"…my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed, but with all boldness, as always, so now also Christ will be magnified in my body, whether by life or by death." —Philippians 1:20

And goes on to an interpretation of Paul's words:

My Utmost for His Highest. “…my earnest expectation and hope that in nothing I shall be ashamed….” We will all feel very much ashamed if we do not yield to Jesus the areas of our lives He has asked us to yield to Him. It’s as if Paul were saying, “My determined purpose is to be my utmost for His highest— my best for His glory.

[source]

Status
Not open for further replies.