Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Can you tell me if there's any difference in meaning between Nativity scene and Nativity crib?
Thank you very much!

Rover_KE

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
Welcome to the forum, Sonia. :)

One of the definitions of 'crib' is a representation of the manger in which the infant Jesus was laid at birth*, so if the context is clear, it's redundant to put 'Nativity' before it.

* Collins Dictionary

Sónia Silva

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Portuguese
Home Country
Portugal
Current Location
Portugal
Thank you very much for your reply, but my doubt has to do with the following meanings I found in www.lexico.com:

Crib
1.2British A model of the Nativity of Christ, with a manger as a bed.

Nativity scene
A model or tableau representing the scene of Jesus Christ's birth, displayed in homes or public places at Christmas.

I can't see any difference... Are they complete synonyms? Can we use one or the other, indiscriminately, when referring, for instance, to a painting depicting this theme or to the set of clay figures and scenery depicting the same scene?

What should we use to label the following images? Nativity scene/ Nativity crib? Both can be use in the two cases?

The-Nativity-with-the-Prophets-Isaiah-and-Ezekiel-–-Duccio-di-Buoninsegna.jpgnativity-set-x0289-400.jpg

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
The second picture is definitely a "Nativity scene" for me. It's the kind of thing you see in shop windows and under Christmas trees. Usually, such scenes include the baby in a crib, the parents, at least some of the three wise men and three kings, a few animals and, as in this one, an angel. It's normally an actual 3-D setup with figures you can move around.

The first picture, for me, is just a painting representing the nativity.

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
The 'crib' is the manger. Jesus was placed in a manger, which functioned as a crib.

The 'scene' is the representation of everything in the stable, including the crib, and the people and animals.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
If you just said "crib" I would assume you were referring to a bed for an infant. Not a scene depicting the Nativity.

"Nativity scene" or "creche" is what I would expect.

Crib v creche may be an AmE/BrE difference?

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
I've certainly never heard of a "Nativity creche" in BrE. "Creche" is used solely for a place where parents can leave their babies and sometimes toddlers while they do something else. Some companies provide a creche in the actual building where they're based although I don't know if this is as prevalent as it used to be because of the sky-high cost of employing the staff to provide the childcare. There used to be a creche at my local shopping centre where, for a fee, people could leave their kids for a couple of hours while they went shopping but I think it closed down before Covid started.

SoothingDave

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
The usage is just "creche." Like "they had to put the creche on a private piece of land downtown because they aren't allowed to use the Courthouse property."

Status
Not open for further replies.