Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Hello everyone,

I listened to a recent podcast on JRE featuring Jordan Peterson:LOL:, and am transcribing it as a practice to improve my English. but unfortunately at the very beginning,😅 I encountered a word that I couldn't find the meaning of online. The word is "one-up," which was mentioned at 0:59 in this JRE podcast.

I think the word "one-up" is somehow related to the term "double-breasted," but I haven't been able to find a definition of "one-up" that connects it to that.

I would greatly appreciate any insights or clarifications on the term. Thank you for your time and assistance!

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
Unfortunately I have to sign up for something to hear that podcast. I 'm afraid I don't sign up for anything.

emsr2d2

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
UK
Current Location
UK
Please don't make try to force us to listen to something if we don't need to. Simply write out the full sentence you're referring to and we'll answer your question based on the text version.

donghongzi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
[Joe] "I don't think I've ever seen a man walk around with a... I think you're one-up." (looking at Jordan's suit carefully)

[Jordan] "My? One-up?"

[Joe] "Yeah, you're one-up. Are you?"

[Joe] "No, you're good."

(Jordan folds his flaps together)

[Jordan] "No, it's double-breasted."

[Joe] "Fancy!"

donghongzi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
Please don't make try to force us to listen to something if we don't need to. Simply write out the full sentence you're referring to and we'll answer your question based on the text version.
Sorry, I'm not trying to make anyone listen to anything. I thought Spotify was like YouTube, but my apologies. I've posted the context above, but I'm not sure if my description accurately depicts that scenario.

bhaisahab

Staff member
Member Type
Retired English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
England
Current Location
Ireland
[Joe] "I don't think I've ever seen a man walk around with a... I think you're one-up." (looking at Jordan's suit carefully)

[Jordan] "My? One-up?"

[Joe] "Yeah, you're one-up. Are you?"

[Joe] "No, you're good."

(Jordan folds his flaps together)

[Jordan] "No, it's double-breasted."

[Joe] "Fancy!"
That doesn't make any sense to me.

donghongzi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I think he means "You're wearing a suit that's a size too large". You're one up = You're one above your correct size.

And then the other man says it's double-breasted and pulls his lapels together, implying that the double-breasted jacket might have looked too large for him when the jacket front was open.

Last edited:

donghongzi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I think he means "You're wearing a suit that's a size too large". You're one up = You're one above your correct size.

And then the other man says it's double-breasted and pulls his lapels together, implying that the double-breasted jacket might have looked too large for him when the lapels had fallen away.
Ah, I see what you mean now. I never thought "one up" could be used to describe the size of a suit before😅 but it makes sense in that context. Thank you and I appreciate your help😃

Barque

Banned
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
English
Home Country
India
Current Location
Singapore
I haven't either -- just a guess from the context and his actions.

donghongzi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
I have never hear it used in this way
could "one up" mean "single-breasted suit" in that context? that would make sense too but I couldn't find it in any dictionaries.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@donghongzi If it were me I wouldn't have tried to figure that out. Why? Well, there are only 24 hours in a day. In other words, some things are just not worth spending a lot of time on.

donghongzi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
@donghongzi If it were me I wouldn't have tried to figure that out. Why? Well, there are only 24 hours in a day. In other words, some things are just not worth spending a lot of time on.
Yeah, you're right, this word is nothing compared to the rest of the podcast, I can totally ignore it. but I'm just curious and thought someone would provide a quick correct answer😅 never mind thought.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
@donghongzi Unfortunately, I now have something additional to be confused about, and I already had enough of that. 😊

5jj

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
British English
Home Country
Czech Republic
Current Location
Czech Republic
I haven't either -- just a guess from the context and his actions.
Please say that at the start rather than begin (as you did) I think he means ...

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
He's talking about the buttons. They're not going in the right holes. In other words, as he's (the other man) doing up the jacket, he's missed (buttoning up) one hole and gone up to the next.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
Ad hoc lingo.

donghongzi

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
He's talking about the buttons. They're not going in the right holes. In other words, as he's (the other man) doing up the jacket, he's missed (buttoning up) one hole and gone up to the next.
Wow, finally! I think we can settle on this one. I'm so grateful for your help, as well as for others who took their time. Thank you again!

Status
Not open for further replies.