Need to understand please the usage of Past Perfect Tense in the below mentioned sent

Status
Not open for further replies.

farhankhan2007

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I need to understand please the usage of Past Perfect Tense in the below mentioned sentences if this is actually past perfect tense or some other tense or are there any exceptions which I am not aware of.

As the action of Had +Past perfect should come before/after the simple tense. I mean the action should take place before the simple past tense action. Like "Before he arrived, I had had my lunch

As far as I have read PAst Perfect is Past in the past and when I read these below sentences I do not see a past in the past or may be I am not able to understand.

These senstences are from a Novel named Windwood Farm by Rebecca Patrick-Howard.

1) A few rustles caused her to jump back a few feet, sure that snakes were coming to get her, but it turned out to be a rabbit.
She had freaked herself out long enough and was about to turn around and climb back over the gate when she noticed a glimmerof white reflecting from the sun.

2) Exploring the graveyard was unsettling to her, but not in the way the activity inside the house had been. She hadn't been scared at the headstone, just sad.

I am confused like anything, Please help.

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
1)The glimmer of white occurred after she had been freaking herself out. This should fit with your understanding.
2) She did two things and is now reflecting back on them: She went into a house, and she explored a graveyard. The exploring of the graveyard occurred after the activity in the house had occurred. That explains the first sentence in 2. The second sentence in 2 signifies two situations in the past - visiting the graveyard, and reflecting on it. The graveyard episode occurred first.

farhankhan2007

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
Hello Raymott,
Thank you so much for clearing my doubts on this actually I read the Past Perfect rules and I was trying to fit these sentences in to those rules, so got more confused.
Could you please put some light on this one - She hadn't been scared at the headstone, just sad. There was not anything evil near the grave, although she had certainly felt a presence as she was leaving.
(2nd Sentence, part 2)

Last edited by a moderator:

Raymott

VIP Member
Member Type
Academic
Native Language
English
Home Country
Australia
Current Location
Australia
I've already explained that beginning with "The second sentence in 2". Please re-read, think about it, and let me know if you're still unsure.

farhankhan2007

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Urdu
Home Country
India
Current Location
India
I've already explained that beginning with "The second sentence in 2". Please re-read, think about it, and let me know if you're still unsure.

Yes Raymott, I get it now. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.