Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
Hi,

I was wondering if negative forms of modals in future time is also possible similar to those of present and past time. I mean in both present and past times in degrees of certainty we have affirmative and negative forms as well. But, what about future time?

For example, "she ought to/should become a good teacher"

Is the negative form also possible? As in "she ought not to/shouldn't become a good teacher".

or "she may/might/ could not do well on the exam tomorrow"

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
Hi,

I was wondering if negative forms of modals [STRIKE]in[/STRIKE] for the future [STRIKE]time is[/STRIKE] are also possible similar to those of the present and past time. I mean in both present and past times in degrees of certainty we have affirmative and negative forms as well. But, what about the future time?

For example, "she ought to/should become a good teacher."

Is the negative form also possible? As in "she ought not to/shouldn't become a good teacher".
Yes, it's possible, but that sentence is not a good example; it doesn't make much sense. Here's a better one:

She should not spend all her money on clothes.

or "she may/might/ could not do well on the exam tomorrow"
I don't understand what you mean by that.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
"she may/might/ could not do well on the exam tomorrow"

We often use a [STRIKE]passive[/STRIKE] verb phrase constructed from the present simple followed by an infinitive to express that: She's not likely to do well on the exam tomorrow.

Last edited:

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I see no passive there.

Thanks. I hesitated over that post, wondering if I was naming the construction correctly. What should I have written?

YAMATO2201

Member Type
Student or Learner
Native Language
Japanese
Home Country
Japan
Current Location
Japan
Thanks. I hesitated over that post, wondering if I was naming the construction correctly. What should I have written?
What about this?:

You could use the "be + likely + to-infinitive" construction to express that: She's not likely to do well on the exam tomorrow.

teechar

Staff member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
Iraq
Current Location
Iraq
[STRIKE]What[/STRIKE] How about this?

You could use the "be + likely + to-infinitive" construction to say: [STRIKE]express that:[/STRIKE] She's not likely to do well on the exam tomorrow.

GoesStation

No Longer With Us (RIP)
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
That referred to a statement in the previous post.

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
hi

But, I think your sentence (She should not spend all her money on clothes.) seems more to be an advice rather than representing degree of certainty in the future tense. or is it possible to use it when a speaker is almost sure that she will not spend all her money on clothes?

Regarding the second part of my question, that is "she may/might/ could not do well on the exam tomorrow", I meant that here the speaker is just guessing as he/she is 50% sure that she will not do well on the exam.

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
If we use "she's not likely to do well on the exam tomorrow", it means that we are just 50% sure of what will probably be the case. But, what about if we are 90% sure? In the affirmative form we can use as I stated before"she ought to/should become a good teacher." But, I was wondering if the negative forms of the same statements is correct as well. Because, in Betty Azar's English grammar book the negative forms of degrees of certainty in the future time have not been mentioned. However, both affirmative and negative forms of degrees of certainty have been dealt with when talking about present and past tenses.

Matthew Wai

VIP Member
Member Type
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
China
Current Location
China
If we use "she's not likely to do well on the exam tomorrow", it means that we are just 50% sure of what will probably be the case. But, what about if we are 90% sure?
It's impossible for her to do well on the exam tomorrow.

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I see. so is it equal to "she should not/ought not to do well on the exam tomorrow?

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
so I think in this sense we can also use "she won't do well on the exam tomorrow". Is it correct?

Venus.jam

Member Type
Academic
Native Language
Turkish
Home Country
Iran
Current Location
Iran
I'm a little bit confused now. I want to know if both negative and affirmative form of the following modal verbs are possible or not. Because, in Betty Azar's English grammar book the negative forms of degrees of certainty in the future time have not been mentioned. However, both affirmative and negative forms of degrees of certainty have been dealt with when talking about present and past tenses. I'd appreciate if you answer the following questions:

1. She will do well on the test. (can we say "she won't do well on the test?)
2. she ought to do well on the test. (can we say "she ought not to do well on the test?)
3. she should do well on the test. (can we say "she should not to do well on the test?)
4. she may/might/could do well on the test. (can we say "she may/might/could not do well on the test. )

Status
Not open for further replies.