English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
She sat silent, nor did I speak a word.
Source: Practical English Grammar, by Wu Pingzong.

Which of the paraphrases below is correct?
(A) She sat silent, and I didn't speak a word, too.
(B) She sat silent, and I didn't speak a word, either.

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
I have already lost my son, and I don't want to lose you, too. (My bold)
Source: Selective English for Junior High School Students in Taiwan, Book I, page 52.
Can I use "either" instead of "too" in the above quotation?
No, "either" doesn't work there at all. You can't replace "too" with "either" in that sentence.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
She sat silent, and I didn't speak a word, either. (affirmative + negative, different subjects, either)
I have already lost my son, and I don't want to lose you, too. (affirmative + negative, same subject, too)
Are my explanations in the parentheses correct?

Tarheel

VIP Member
Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
American English
Home Country
United States
Current Location
United States
It looks good to me, but I haven't had my coffee yet. 😊

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
She sat silent, and I didn't speak a word, either. (affirmative + negative, different subjects, either)
I have already lost my son, and I don't want to lose you, too. (affirmative + negative, same subject, too)

No, they're not good explanations. You have the wrong idea about what 'positive/negative' means.

She sat silent

That's not positive in this sentence, it's negative. Think about the meaning, which is that she didn't say anything, not about whether the clause contains the word 'not'.

and I didn't speak a word, either.

That's correct because it's also negative. The rule is:

negative + negative = use either
positive + positive = use too

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
She sat silent

That's not positive in this sentence, it's negative. Think about the meaning, which is that she didn't say anything, not about whether the clause contains the word 'not'.

and I didn't speak a word, either.

That's correct because it's also negative. The rule is:

That's not entirely correct either. Observe:
She was silent, and he was silent, too.

It's not "negative(silent) + negative(silent) = use either".

I believe LDOCE explains it better:
either 3 ... adverb
1 [in negatives] used to show that a negative statement is also true about another thing or person, or to add a different negative statement about something or someone
She sat silent, and I didn't speak a word, either.

"Either" is used to show that a negative statement("I didn't speak a word(=my being silent/not speaking)" is also("She sat silent(=her being silent/not speaking)") true about him.

dunchee

Member Type
Interested in Language
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
United States
No. The bottom line is it has nothing to do with the two subjects being the same or different.

sitifan

Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
Chinese
Home Country
Taiwan
Current Location
Taiwan
1. I have already lost my son, and I don't want to lose you, too. (affirmative + negative, same subject, too)
2. You should take a sweater, and don't forget to take an umbrella, too. (affirmative + negative, same subject, too)
3. She sat silent, and I didn't speak a word, either. (affirmative + negative, different subjects, either)
positive + negative = use ?
(#1 & #2, same subject, use too) (#3, different subjects, use either)

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
That's not entirely correct either. Observe:
She was silent, and he was silent, too.

Yes, it is correct, but okay, yes, I didn't explain well.

She was silent, and he was silent too.

That's positive+ positive. You can tell that precisely from the use of the word 'too'. There's one, let's say, 'state-of-affairs that is the case', and it is the case for both people. In this respect, 'too' and either are used in the same way.

In these constructions, you sometimes can't tell from the first clause whether it's meant as positive or negative. You need following context to know.

She was silent

Is that positive or negative? Did something happen or not happen? We don't know.

She was silent, and he didn't speak, either. [negative + negative]
She was silent, and he kept quiet too. [positive + positive]

Now we know.

"Either" is used to show that a negative statement("I didn't speak a word(=my being silent/not speaking)" is also("She sat silent(=her being silent/not speaking)") true about him.

Yes, the clause before 'either' must be a negative statement, in the sense that it needs a negative word, but not necessarily 'not' or 'never'.

He's starving himself, and she's barely eating, either.

The idea is that you're saying that for both people it's not the case that they're eating properly. That's what 'negative' means with this.

Last edited:

jutfrank

VIP Member
Member Type
English Teacher
Native Language
English
Home Country
England
Current Location
England
1. I have already lost my son, and I don't want to lose you, too. (affirmative + negative, same subject, too)
2. You should take a sweater, and don't forget to take an umbrella, too. (affirmative + negative, same subject, too)

These are both different from what we've been discussing. They're not equivalent.

3. She sat silent, and I didn't speak a word, either. (affirmative + negative, different subjects, either)

Like I said, that's negative + negative. That no words were spoken applies to both she and I.

It makes no difference whether the subjects are different.